1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who the @%$# does leaves for free!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paponte, Nov 13, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

ALL the time I see threads on here about cleanups, cleanup pricing, etc. WTF is the deal guys!?!

I saw it twice today... by the SAME company never the less. 2 houses with HEAVILY leaved properties. I know we could get them done in 2 hours with 3 guys, so that means the average LCO with decent equipment would be there for at least 4 hours. Giving @$&%ing estimates of $225.00?? WTF is that!! With 2 guys, that's less then $30.00 per man hour! minus gas, and dumping, WTF are you guys making? Or I should ask, how the #%$@ are you guys still in business!

Even if you could get 2 done in a day working in the dark, are you guys happy with a gross bill of $450.00 for the day? For 2-3 guys? Give me a break! You guys might as well be wearing bras and panties and standing out on the corner, go sell your machines. :angry:
  2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

not sure where your post is going with this but if i did two c/u's for 225 each taking 8hrs total i would consider that to be fine by me--550 for the day...if i had two a day lined up for 6 wks i come up with 16,500...would be plenty to carry me until the spring...don't waste your time worrying what others are charging for leaves or grass or whatever...grab a beer and a box of pop tarts..you'll be alright...

ps---i prefer wearing thongs in the cool weather:D :D :D
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

These guys must have really pushed your button. Ive read some of your other post and you seem to be very calm and professinal [kinda like its there loss not mine attitude] You know the deal Low baller, scrubs, newbies, So whats got you so riled up about this certain time doing whats done everyday to all of us?

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

it all depends on how the LCO sets up his O/H figures. If that LCO doesnt figure the say 100 hours of billable clean up time into his initial fixed overhead rate, then at the end of the season he has all his overhead covered for the year from his "prime season" billings. In this case, he may very well be happy to make $30/hr....and still profit. Look at his costs in this situation... wages, fuel, disposal, small amounts of extra machine maintenance. See? There may still be money left in the $30/man hour for profit. Its all a numbers game, not everyone plays the same way.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3 guys for two hours at $225 comes out to 37.50/man hour.
    some guys are happy with that. They are not working for 10/hour or for free. Relax have a cool one and move on. They aint getting rich but they ain't the lawnsite favorite word either...."SCRUBS!"
  6. paponte

Yes, that is my take on the business. What gets me is seeing all these posts like "hourly rates", "can a smaller company really make it in this industry", "how do you justify spending money on new equipment", "how do you make it in the business", etc. Well you don't make it by dropping your drawers, you make it by top quality work.

I just get tired of the whole attitude that if I charge less than my competition, I will get all the work. Your not hurting anyone but yourself. How can you possibly up your rates after you realize your not making money? You already set the market price.

If I can get 3 opinions from from other associates in the business, and we are all within $10-20 of each other. How this other guy even be making a living? There is no way he can touch the volume a larger LCO can do. Thats why larger companies charge more hourly. Because they can get the job done faster. Does this mean they are not entitled to the same amount of money? No. It's just that they have invested thousands in equipment to make them more efficient.

It costs money to be in business. How can you ever expand if your not making the money. Ok, so you are covering your bills, but eventually it's just not gonna cut it.

Guess this guy just tickled me funny. Gonna go have a cold one.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bras and panites in this wind and cold paul? I think not...

But what I do think is these guys are morons, eroding/destroying the pricing structure of the most lucrative time of the year for most of us. I'm at $75 per man hour. That's the fee. Ok with you Mr. Customer, great. If not, I'm outta here.

I agree with you. $30 per hour less expenses is simply dumb...there is opinion #1 btw.
  8. paponte

Good man Rod! I am at $60 per man, and I feel I am too low. It just blows my mind. How can they be half, knowing that they are going to be there for twice as long? I mean I always ask the customer what other prices they have been getting for the same job. I know if I were the one underbidding, after hearing that I was the lowest price on EVERY job, I would say to myself "man I MUST be an idiot! I am underbidding myself, meanwhile I can be making more money per hour! What an @ss I am". Just how I feel. :cool:
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Your profile says you started in business at 14 years of age. Was it hard turning down work that didnt pay what you wanted back then even though you had a wife and kids to feed, and a mortgage to pay? Oh thats right, you didnt have that to think about. You have to start somewhere. A no tax paying, no ins, stationwagon driving "scrub" beats someone who "cant" work because they hurt their whatever they want to say this week..
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Customers are charged $55/hr everyone else is $60. That is quoted to any and everyone by me,written right on bill. I also have close to $5,000 in leaf only equipment and to add a 17cu.yd. dump.