1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who trims the fence?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Sep 10, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Here's the lay-out. You have a customer that does not have a fence. However the neighbor on the right side has a long chain link fence. Do you trim the fence line or leave it for the neighbor to trim?
  2. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I'd do my side if it's on the property line.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i would trim it sometimes remember you want your customer to see a sharp yard ,a little extra work it worth tyhat in my book
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it depends on your agreement with your client as to whether you trim the clients side of the neighbors fence.

in my opinion, if it's not in the agreement and the fence is more than a nominal amount...it's no trim.

it's a shame if grass growing through a chain link fence make your nice mow job look like crap but that's the breaks.

5. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Spray it w/ an herbicide(on your side, 1/4 to 1/2 strip)and keep on going. No fuss,No muss.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If one side of the fence is on your customers side, just trim it. That could be the difference in them giving you a great reference or just an ok job reference.

7. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

No Doubt, If you do not trim the fence you are nothing but a money hungry lawn care butthead!! Trim the fence, add it to the price if you think it is nessesary for profit. But trim the stinking fence and start being proud of the work you do or get out of the buisiness. It is about time that we call ourselves professionals by doing a quality job, is'nt it!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Trim the fence, no doubt. I have a couple of customers who have chain link fences and the neighbor doesn't trim on their side. I just go over there and trim it when it gets unruly.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I do a lawn with 2500ft of fence,I trim it all,the neighboring businesses lawncare companys do not trim and it grows thru the fence making my job look bad.I got permission from the warehouse to trim it once already,just so my job looks ok,I think ill be getting both neighboring jobs next year,if i bid them.
  10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Sure am glad to see i'm not the only who would trim the fence! The way i see it the fence was there when you gave them the price for the job and it most likey looked like CRAP then so you knew what to expect!