Who uses .105 line and larger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 24, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I usually use .095 line, right now some square line form J-Thomas, nothing special but it does ok. Also have some Stihl .095 round. What are the advantages of going up to .105 (or larger) if any. My trimmers are all sizes.

Stihl 55 back up trimmer
    Stihl 80 fs
    Stihl fs 250

I do have to cut some heavy growth at times, but not that often.

2. jaghr

jaghr LawnSite Member

I only use .105 commercial line because it seems to be tougher than and last longer than the others. (Stihl)

3. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: I always use 105. It is the best all around size for a commercial trimmer. After alot of experimenting I found the Extreme line at Lowes to be the best.At least in my area

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I use gatorline square magnum .095. The 105 just seems to be too much for regular trimming especially the way I run w/o the guard on. Also the 95 works great on thick heavy growth as well. Best line imo.

5. TN Property Services

TN Property Services LawnSite Member

Gator super twist .130. If you compare the twisted lines vs. the regular round, it seems smaller than it is listed for.
    ie: .105 actually looks and is similar in size when looked at side by side of .105 round.

Holds up just fine and works well.

6. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have been using gator 155 and it rips through stuff i ran out and all they had was 105 it has been doing fine seems to get more rpms so i am not sure

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Lance,
    I use Echo trimmers with the Rapid Loader head. On the 260 trimmer I use .105-.130 line because the RPM is not as high. On the 261T I use .155 because it is stiff and holds a flat plane better with the high torque engin.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i run 105 on my big shindy 270 and 272 but use .95 on everything else

9. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I just started running gaterline square magnum 105 on a red max 2600 guard less, its little much. I think I'm going to go with 095 next but let me tell ya this s!@# will trim ANYTHING, trust me I have the wounds to prove it!!

10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

105 last longer!