who uses a 72" deck to mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DUSTYCEDAR, Jan 8, 2005.

1. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

looking to buy a new mower with a 72" deck and would like some info.
    who is mowing with them and how well do they cut?
    any problems u have had?
    what hp is the mower u r running them on?

2. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I use a exmark 27 kaw lc on every yard and it is a little under poered on tall grass. Also have lazer 27 kaw lc which is just about the right match with 60. in. deck.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

thanks thats what i was looking 4 i thught the 27 kaw would be underpowered on the 72

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a ferris is4000 31hp 3 cylinder lc 72". It works great, however, 72" is alot of grass to throw out the side of the deck and in really tall/wet grass it clumps some. All in all it saves me lots of time compared to a 61" deck. As the saying goes - if a little is good then more is better.

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 6 72" mowers and wouldn't go back to anything smaller. I've got 4 50hp Dixies and 2 72" Steiners. The Dixies are more maneuverable, but the Steiner has a slightly better cut............Lynn

6. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 72" Scag W/B. The only drawback is a fixed deck cause you can scalp the turf real easy if you don't watch what you're doing. It has a 17HP Kawasaki and you have to spool the engine up pretty good before engaging the PTO or it will stall. Once everything is spinning at WOT theres no problem pulling me on a Velky and the thing will knock down some grass muy pronto!

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Its a 72" Gravely 31hp turbo-diesel for me. Great cut. Lots of power. I was thinking of getting the Exmark 27hp , 72"er, but I had a few emails from LS users, telling me that it was under powered.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 Toro Groundsmasters 325D's. They're 4 wheel drive diesels with power steering and brakes. Not cheap either btw.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

72" mower with a 17hp motor???????!!!!!! I've never heard of such a thing. Did you put that on there yourself?
    Chris

10. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

thanks 4 the help