1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who uses a blade sharpner ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rougewave, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Rougewave

Rougewave LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Like one of these..........do you think its worth the $$$ I am looking at one for 400 bucks

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 3/4 hp RBG ..... very nice grinder ..... it was like 4$$ something off eBay ...
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to spend that kind of money go with one of the top two brands. I think R.B.G. is a top brand the other is Magnamatic. I haven't used either but someone on Lawnsite can tell you which is best for the money. I use a file but I only have 2 mowers.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you a little behind on the sharpening there Fantasy Lawns.
  5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

check with Travis at wacolandscapesupply.com he carries the 88-021 and 88-023 Oregon they are good grinders
  6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

We use an old grinder that will keep up with any newer one. This one is from the 70's, I don't know the name or make of it. I do know you sit down to do it. I would still put it aginst any blade sharpener. :)
  7. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I just bought off of ebay a RGB 1201-B grinder that looks like the one pictured in this post for $154, including freight. My question is, how are you suppose to sharpen the blade? It did not come with a manual. I have some what of an idea, put was curious if any one could provide me with any more information. It is in pretty good shape with a good grinding stone on it. Thanks in advance for any info.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the same setup as fantasy. It works great. It helps us keep the blades balanced better and also helps them last longer.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Oregon blade grinder, been real pleased with it.
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a Magnamatic blade sharpener for several years now and wouldn't be without one. My friend has one like you show so I've compared them. The Magnamatic is more money but to me it truly is worth more money.