Who uses a Mac?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NickD, Nov 25, 2010.

1. NickD

NickD LawnSite Member

Wanted to know if theres any software out there for the mac for scheduling and keeping track of your accounts. Im aware QB's is mac compatible but thats not what I'm looking for. Theres a lot of software out there but its all PCbased:hammerhead: from the research ive done....but possibly i didnt look hard enough. Maybe there is nothing out there for the mac......if so mac users do you use your computer for your business and how so? Thanks for the help.

2. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a netbook or laptop cheap for like $250-$500 so you can bring with you as well. Not sure why you have a MAC though LOL.

3. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder how scheduling would work in iCal. Yeah, there is one industry that is still lacking on the Mac side and that's this industry.

It doesn't make any sense in this day and age to limit yourself to one platform. Web based apps are where it's at. I was working on something last winter but I got busy. I don't know what sort of spare time I'll have now that the season is over.

4. DollarSign

DollarSign LawnSite Member
    from MN

Because some of us don't want to deal with virus protection and prefer to have something that is actually a quality product. I bought my macbook in 08 and I'll never buy windows again most likely

5. NickD

NickD LawnSite Member

I agree with you on that one. I got mine in 06 nothing has ever gone wrong with it and ive never had a virus. Its a brilliant idea.....the mac that is :p

6. DollarSign

DollarSign LawnSite Member
    from MN

Glad you agree, that soloscaper guy posts the dumbest things....

And to answer your question, I have not really found anything that is Mac compatible except QB for Mac, but that's because I've never needed to look. QB for Mac is the one of the best things out there.

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Use some common sense and you shouldn't have a virus. I have had Windows 98 to Windows XP all these years and only had 3 viruses. I have no anti virus software but keep windows up to date. I still have Windows XP Pro and runs like butter. The reason why MACS may seem better is because it's software limited so there is less of a problem. Macs do get viruses. Remember MAc's only own 10% of the PC market so there are "less" problems. Why be limited with an OS like Macs??

Just because it cost more doesn't mean it's better. Don't tell me you drink Starbucks coffee and also drive a Prius right?? ;-)

8. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

Please, buddy, don't do that. It's silly. The no virus due to lower market share is the goofiest thing I've ever heard.

Doing real computer work I use both Apple and Windows machines. In real world usage, I can get between 1.5 to 2 times the amount of work done on the Mac compared to the Windows box. That's just typing/coding/programming/debugging. Move to graphics work and the numbers aren't even comparable.

I've been using Macs since 1994 and so far zero viruses.

9. NickD

NickD LawnSite Member

I dont know if the Starbucks and Prius thing was directed to me or not but if so Starbucks yes.....Prius no but i wish...9 miles to the gallon is nothing short of fun and thats all stock! geez. If i remember correctly in the 4 years i've had my mac i think there has only been two trojan viruses created for the os x platform. Its just a far superior machine. side by side the os x will out do windows 7/vista/xp and so forth....numbers don't lie. Macs might be limited in software in the business aspect but i believe that will change with time. I've had mine since 06 like i said. Never had to get on a windows machine since. I've always be able to do what i need on my mac for school and my business.

10. NickD

NickD LawnSite Member

I will add.....the saying you get what you pay for really hits home when you think about putting a little extra money towards a Mac. well theres my PERSONAL opinion.