Who uses a resperator?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, May 13, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to start trying to use a resperator for the first time. However i am very closterphobic and wearing this exsaporates (spelling) this. Breathing through these feels like breathing through a straw. Any tips?

2. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I used to have to wear one on a regular basis for hazmat response in service. It is one of things you just get used to after time. On hot days it is probally the worst, because all the sweat and humidity makes you feel like your going to sufficate. Have it professional fitted, usually the local enviromental police, coop, or even try a Coast Guard Station and tell them it is for painting a boat and you want to be safe (they have the knowledge and tools to help you use them)(that was insider info SHHHHH).

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Used it all day . Got used to it pretty quick. Def. A good idea to wear one when spraying certain Pesticides.

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Depends what I am spraying / spreading and the size of the property. But if I where one I prefer a full face respirator. Keeps it out of your eyes and lungs.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I do if it is liquid or if it is windy at all outside.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I used to wear one but stopped. Customers would freak when I put it on for one thing. I was getting a rash when it was hot out and I felt it was doing more damage than good. We only spray ParIII, Tri Kill and Roundup so it's not really needed.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My response as well.

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I wear one when I spray everything except round up type products. For one I can't stand the smell of some stuff for a whole day and for anther its better to be over coutious in my opinion.
    The local supplier we buy from sells the 3m ones that I like and will fit you for them if you like. Also I usally have two on hand for when the first gets a bit too moist.

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Poorly fitted they are far worse than using nothing at all. Use them only occasionally with certain WP's and other concentrates are going in the tanks.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when the customers would become concerned when I was wearing the mask. It was a good time for me to educate the client that the mask was for my protection from the mist within the area I was working.....often this mist cannot even be seen by the naked eye.

They need not worry as they were in no danger, and because I am exposed 100's of times per season, to the pesticides I apply, I too feel I can't be too careful.

That small education to my clients, gave them peace of mind and also that their applicator was safety concious and professional.

I even wear a Dust mask when applying granular control products.

You will be greatful when you are in your "Golden Years"

Pete D.