who uses a single drive Hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Apr 19, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

This past weekend, I bought a 2002 Ferris 48 wb single drive hydro. Total Garbage. I bought the mower not knowing much about it and had no idea what the single drive was all about. The thing only had 30 hours on it and it sat in the last guys garage for 2 years. I dropped it off at my mechanic had him tune it up today took it for a spin, hated it. 100% hate it. I do not like the way it drives at all. I haven't had it out yet but i don't see how it won't rip up grass when turning.

does anyone on here use a single drive hydro and how do youlike it.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a quick 36 and am quite happy with it. Turns really easy. I think that some of your trouble with the ferris, is that it weighs a lot more than many other single drive hydro's. btw, the quick 36 weighs around 290 lbs.

I have done turns after pouring rain and have not torn up the turf.

btw, you interested in selling me a proslide?

3. TheKingNJ

i'll sell you a proslide for $1650. But i'll thow in a scag hydro with it.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

LOL! seriously, though, you want to?

5. TheKingNJ

no ,

6. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I have 2 SD Ferris, a 36 and 48 along with a 48 DD. If you are used to a dual drive you will hate it. I bought a DD and prefer that one to the SD. The trick to turning and not tearing up sod is to do a 3 pt turn.
    The only reason I bought mine was the price. Couldn't afford a DD at that time but knew I didn't want a belt drive. It was a happy medium for me.
    Now I'm trying to sell the 48 SD and having a hard time getting rid of it.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I has a 48" ferris single drive. Great machine, built like a tank. But wouldn't buy another one. But it beats a belt drive. I too had trouble selling it. But my buddy bought it and loved its. So much that he bought a second one. If I ever bought another ferris it will be a dual drive.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a SD 36 about 5 weeks ago and it is now for sale. I think I already have it sold so I didn't bother with putting it up here at Lawnsite. The new SD is nothing like the old SD. The old SD came with brakes that made the mower a whole lot easier to turn. The new SD has no brakes and is a beast to turn when using a sulky and damn near impossible to use on hills. But...

The Ferris SD 36 weighs 330 pounds. I have not had any problems with tearing up turf.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Richard, is that the "HydroCut"?