Who uses a tachometer for tuning?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lwcmattlifter, Feb 11, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I need a tach that I can use to tune my mower, trimmers and chainsaws, etc. The tach needs to be able to read at least 14,000 rpm. What are you guys using, how much did it cost and do you have any suggestions what to buy. I don't want to break the bank if possible.
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have an inductive tach for use with chainsaws. It was about $175 from Rotary quite a few years back. Works well for what it does, but is not the best for everything. We also have about 3 other types of tachs for other applications. Your local dealer should have a Rotary catalog.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have a tiny tach from Briggs and Stratton that I use for checking 4 cycle engine rpm's. It cost about $40 and with shipping and tax it was about $48 from my local dealer. The tiny tachs are not the most accurate, they are subject to be off by 75 rpm's in either direction. The tachs that the dealers use cost about $100 but if you want complete accuracy then thats the way to go.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Stihl dealer can sell you a very good tach. Get the one with a lead and a clip.
  5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I think I am going with either an Echo or Stihl tach. How many rpm's can the tiny tachs read? Do the Stihl and Echo tach's have replaceable batteries?