Who uses a Troy Bilt or Sutech Stealth type mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 13, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Does anyone have one of these types (the kind that doesn't have individual clutches and brakes) and use it only for getting through gates and on level ground? Does it have kind of the same feel as a self propelled 21" mower or what? I know they're not the cadillac of gate mowers but they are cheap and probably effective for just alittle use here and there thru gates.
    Thanks!
    Eric

2. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I bought a 33 inch Troy Bilt a couple years ago. It did a fine job on the small fenced yards. I didnt keep mine though because I started thinking that I had $950 in a mower to do a job that I could use the Honda 21 inch on. It did save time but not enough to justify the cost in my opinion

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

ok thanks. I have a Toro 32" rear engine rider that is just sitting around with a 8hp Briggs I/C engine on it. Was thinking I could just take the sheet metal and front axle off, mount caster wheels on front and a handlebar on back with controls. It would be a floating deck, has same tranny and ground speeds as other w/b's and has the same deck as a 32" toro floater w/b. It would have one lever height adjust, and a striping roller. Would basically be like a 32" floaing deck Toro w/b but without individual clutches and brakes. Then I'd paint it and maybe get a few decals for it and make it look nice and then sell the John Deere w/b because I think it's going to be too wide for gates. Seems like you could put a sulky on one of those kinds of walk behinds maybe?
    Anyway, I already know it cuts and stripes great and has plenty of power. The Briggs engine would be fine no more than I'd use it. It is a start and go mower.
    Eric

4. OH NO..............Not another Frankenscagmark!!!!

Wait you don't have it listed on your list below you name, no you can't use it.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Well I don't know if I'll do it or not I was just toying with the thought. It would be a pretty easy conversion. I was just asking basically if the steering mechanism (or lack of :rolleyes: ) on these types of mowers is easy to put up with and does it feel like a sp 21" mower?
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. Creative Lawn Care

from NC

Why go to the trouble to convert your rider into a walkbehind??? Why not just leave it a rider and sit down while you mow those fenced in yards

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Turning radius. Plus that the ride at 4.5mph or 5.5 is alittle harsh. Add to that that it looks unproffesional. Visibility is better as a w/b and it is lighter weight which can be handy. Can lift the front of the mower easily. Lots of reasons.
    How does the handling of a Troy bilt or stealth feel? Is it like a 21" self propelled or what?
    Thanks,
    Eric

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Plus I need something to do.

10. Creative Lawn Care

from NC

Ok I will say I like some of your past inventions but I am not sure about this one. You say you think rear engine rider looks unprofessional but yet you are gonna try and make a homemade walk behind?? I am sure you could make it work but it is not gonna look professional. As for your other question, the troybilt mowed at a faster speed than a 21. It was a little hard to turn in a corner at a slow speed. The faster you mowed with it the easier to turn. Since the front wheels are swivel casters it is actually easier to turn than the 21". Why not just find a used one for a 3-400 and save the time of the conversion??