Who uses cheap blowers just for grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Aug 3, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if you use hand held blowers(around $200) for your grass crews?

I find the handhelds work good just for a mowing crew instead of pulling out the bp's.

Who else???

kc

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

used a dirty old one i think husq made it for my first year and just using the redmax 7000 it makes it a little easier obviously not necessary but why buy a new blower just for grass crews if you already have the bps

every house i cut has sidewalks, walkways, and streets are blown spotless i know some people cut in the country areas where theres no sidewalks or a curbs even

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Nothing but stihl BG55 handhelds for $150.
    The BG85 isn't worth the extra $80 because it doesn't perform any better in the real world with its extra 2/10's horsepower.

Backpacks are a waste of time for blowing off sidewalks and drives, they just aren't necessary and require more time to saddle up and start.
    Less fatigue with a handheld versus a 20 pound backpack as well.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Polan Pro that I have to use, since someone stole my BackPack

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i am using a sthil bg85 -this thing blows like a backpac ! also have a couple of old echo pb210e ,s that just wont die. they are very quiet but still blow strong

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a bg55 also, 150 bux and alot quicker than getting the back pack put on to blow off a side walk. Most of the time I can be 1/2 done by the time I could get the back pack out of the rack , cranked and ready to go.

wayne

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl $150 90% of the time. Redmax 7001 the rest.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Held held's go out on all the routes but several in the suburbs.On these routes,commercial accounts, and drives that are on average long, trees drops twigs, acorns etc. A hand held takes longer then does a backpack in this scenario, and is just are not as a productive option as the back pack on these accounts.On the average city accounts we do, for just grass a hand held does ok.

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

So then why the back packs???

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

back pacs all the way
    we do a lot of big lawns with big driveways and the back pac will get the wet grass off fast where the hand held takes forever so handhelds dont get much use