1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who uses fuel cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Andrew S, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I have a few crews on the road and I am thinking of getting fuel cards for each truck, that way if they need fuel on the other side of town they can go to the service station with whom we have an account with.

How many of you guys do this?

currently I use a visa card to book fuel

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We use fuel cards. I have a card in each truck. It is handy, and at the end of the month I have only one bill to enter into the books instead of 40. I also save big $$$ because I get a volume discount and save about 10cents/liter.
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

keep a watch on those fuel card statements. an employee may be tempted to use the card for his own use. statements should show date and time of fill up
  4. Big 12 Lawns

Big 12 Lawns LawnSite Member

I have been trying to see if I can find a good gas card to save me money or a private owned gas station who will cut a deal with me. Do you mind telling me what kind of card you have and or how you went about getting the deal you have?
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I just use credit cards. This way they can use it for fuel, repairs, parts. etc.. Also they are required to submit receipts at the end of each day. As far as an employee fueling up his own vehicle, we generally know the costs of filling up a truck and tanks. If it is below or above that amount, the employee gets questioned.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When I use to landscape for a company, the owner had an account with a gas station near the shop. It was for fuel only and we had to sign for it. You should only have to fuel up once a day, so I don't think there is a need to have to fuel up across town, unless you are putting on some serious mileage.

7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a "Super-Pass" cardlock account with Petro Canada. I'm guessing Petro Canada doesn't operate in the US, but just shop around with the major petrol suppliers in your area and see who will give you the best rate. Good luck.
  8. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We have fuel cards with all of the major gas brands in our area. We leave a card at the key stations in each direction from our shop, and even in a couple of smaller towns nearby as well. That way, we aren't carrying around all these cards. The stations know to only fill vehicles with our name on the side and for fuel and oil only. We only give cards to carry for trips outside the usual area.

Austreim landscaping
  9. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

We use a SUNOCO gas card in each of my 3 trucks. The bill at the end of the month tells which card was used, the time, the gallons, and the dollar amount. Works out good for me.