Who uses hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Who uses hearing protection? If so, what kind? What are your thoughts on hearing protection?
  2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

We require all of our employees to where ear protection it saves us form future law suits and such clams. We use 3m earmuff things ( I use the ones with the radio in them makes the other employees jellies though) LOL!!!!
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

definately!!!!!! i use foam plugs, seem to work best for me.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Peltor FM stereo hearing protectors. Everyone should wear hearing protection.
  5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Ear protection, yes. Last year after running a 20HP for a day I got a pair of ear plugs to wear. They are soft rubber with a cord connecting them together. They work very well. Get done and put them back in the plastic case for storage. Would not think of working without them. When I do forget to put them in I know right away that I forgot them. After 20+ years in a factory my hearing is pretty well shot, so now I do everything I can do to preserve what little I have left. The foam ones work well also.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Won't the radio headphones damage hearing even more because you have to turn them up really high to overcome the mower noise or whatever you are using. Another question is WHEN do you use them? What I mean is do you only use them for operating a mower or other times as well?
  7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I use the ELVEX FM hearing protection. they work wonderful. Listen to music and cut grass.. I find myself wearing them while raking leaves sometimes. Only had them for 1 year but they have held up great. ( lots of falls and abuse) I have previous hearing loss and would not work without some type of hearing protection. Regular ear muffs work well also and they only cost 5$-10$ a pair. Whatever you choose it will help your hearing due to all of the loud equipment we use.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the foam plugs. They are very comfortable. With the ultra vac I know right away when I forgot to put them in.

Eric Elm--with those peltor's, does it hinder you wearing a cap?
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Ray, this is not a regular FM headset. What I have is Hearing protectors that block out most of all sounds that happen to have FM in them. They have a volume limiter on them so you can only turn them up so loud, but you can hear music at half volume while running a 62cc back pack blower. Does that answer this question?

Hoss, after clicking on submit I saw your ? and no, it doesn't bother wearing a cap. I put them on over the cap without any problems. I did have a tree grab my cap one day and jerked it off of my head and left the Peltors on my head, I still haven't figured out how. :)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-12-2001 at 10:23 PM]
  10. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

eric, where did you get those. I was looking for something like that.