1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses POLY for main line?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

just as the title says...curious on others' installation techniques

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I use it on systems under 2". 2" and bigger is PVC
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jbell36

from KANSAS

yes, should clarify that, strictly 1" systems...and what were your techniques, mandatory master valve? 80 psi poly? 160 psi poly? pressure regulator on the system? etc...

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

ive installed poly mains behind a master valve up to 1.5" and i have a few service accounts with 2" poly mains.

i very rarely have a problem with any of them

5. jbell36

from KANSAS

i'm considering going to poly mains, with master valves, but i have heard negative things about them...there are a few companies around here that do it, but none that are very representable companies, and this is one of the reasons why i'm hesitant...but i have talked to others who say they do it and have no problems and put in good systems...my point is, poly is SOOO much easier and quicker, so why not...my supplier is more or less telling me to stick with PVC mains, but he was brought up on PVC and has that old school mentality...my thoughts are, if you are trenching, use PVC, if you are pulling, use poly

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A poly mainline is not to be considered without a master valve. Whether it is a better grade of poly than you employ for zones has to do with the supply pressure. It isn't a ruinous expense to upgrade to 125 psi NSF-rated tubing for a mainline, but I haven't done it unless the supply pressure exceeded 100 psi. The reasoning for an upgrade is the possibility that the mainline will be subjected to continuous supply pressure.

If you aren't in true poly territory, you might have concerns with the fitness of your local supply of poly for mainline duty, in which case, you only employ NSF-rated tubing for that task.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

We pull 200 / 250 psi Poly Mains .. Typically 1" and bump it to 1.25" when needed.

PVC Manifolds

100 psi 1" laterals

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I went to our local Ewing and asked if they sold blazzing saddles. The guy didn't know what they were .. So I found them in HIS store. He's like .. I've been here for 3 years and have never seen this sold.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I'm in the deep south and I've never seen poly used but I'm curious. When you say "true poly territory" at what point north do you consider poly country?

10. jbell36

from KANSAS

if you drew an imaginary line (horizontally of course) across the US almost directly in the middle, say the Kansas/Oklahoma border, then everything North is mainly pulling poly, and everything South is trenching PVC

just a rule of thumb...some companies will only install one or the other no matter where they are...i know the Northeast in particular uses a lot of poly