Who uses POLY for main line?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Older systems here were done in PVC and there is still the occasional one. Most systems here are now poly, and most companies will use poly for a mainline, if they do a mainline. And they rarely use a MV, and rarely is there a problem. The only time there is an issue is when the pressure regulator fails in the house, and pressure then spikes to 125-150. Then we will see the occasional blow out in EITHER poly or PVC if the main was done in Class 200.

Not all pipes will crack from freezing. I have many customers that do not blow out their systems, and some have damage and some do not. When winterizing a system, my main concern is backflow preventer, manifolds, mainlines, and valves. Or if the system is all PVC or copper (yes we have some older systems that are all copper). The occasional split poly pipe or head is no big deal. It's the 20'-60' of shattered PVC that chaps my azz.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Systems components like heads and lateral lines don't ever get exposed to full static pressure, especially with a basement water meter fed from a pressure-robbing house supply line. The deal about valves and high pressure was more an issue for an old-school Richdel R204 valve, with an unsupported flat diaphragm.

What brand(s) of poly pipe can you get?

3. 30 plus years of installing residential systems and only came across a 1 system where it was used and of course, I didn't have parts. I had to go to Orchard Supply Hardware to get an insert to repair the pipe. Its PVC here west of the rockies.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a brand spanking new poly system installed a few years ago in the great state of Jefferson. First I had seen here but sure enough, it was poly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

6. Wet_Boots

Same pipe you replace home supply lines with?

It's an intriguing choice. The poly home supply lines I see are always CTS (OD specified) poly with waterworks compression fittings, and never IPS poly with clamped insert fittings. Upstream of the meter, it's entirely the purveyors' call on what gets used to connect the supply tubing.

Have you ever checked with the vendor on what they recommend for connecting the 200/250 psi poly? I do believe the poly can reach a thickness and density/hardness where a worm gear clamp will not exert sufficient force to match the strength of the poly. Only a few of the Ideal brand clamps (marine-grade and Lox-On) claimed agency approval for use on the then-thickest poly (160 psi medium-density)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen a few poly systems, but they are few and far between.

8. Wet_Boots

You can sell a poly-system as earthquake-resistant :)

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Basically,i hate poly. Won't use it. But to consider any system without a master valve is bad design,poly or pvc is not s determining factor on that....it's not even a question to have or not.

That being said I work on several that are totally poly, and I noticed on the mainline side there are not one, not two, but three house clamps on every fitting. Something worthy to note
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Main line 3 pinch clamps, zone line 2 pinch clamps that is what we do.
    Posted via Mobile Device