Who uses POLY for main line?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

More motivation to find the leak. Who's to say that a daily leak of several hundred gallons rather than several thousand would have made a difference?

Spam and eggs or spam and bacon, house was still done in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Note to self...... Self... no Monty Python in the irragation forum....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I would be much more concerned about a large leak, that went unnoticed for days, than a mainline drip.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I can understand your concern but think of this scenario, 8.33 gph x 24 hrs per day = 200 gpd x 365 days per yr = 73,000 gpy.

A mainline break of say 50 gpm x 60 = 3,000 gph x 24 = 72,000 gpd

Roughly the same amount of water, one may or may not be more noticeable but the damage may not differ much in certain soils. I'm just saying that if you have a system that includes a MV you should be testing the mainline for leaks by using the meter a few times a year. Afterall a majority of the forum members are in maintenance or management.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. irritation

A drip won't cause erosion like a pressurized larger leak would.

6. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

is this the new poly vs. pvc debate?? to MV or not to MV that be the question.

recanting my previous statement, master valves are more of a pain in the butt than they are helpful. they mask all leaks, be it large or small, and during a manual service inspection require a manual opening, which then requires me remembering to manually close. which i usually dont remember to do till im on my way home for the day, thus negating any beneficial quality of said master valve.

my new position, master valves only belong with flow sensors and smarter controllers. all other installations are poppycock.

7. irritation

Not only do you have to manually open the master valve but bleed any air from the main and wait for the pressure test.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You can fire the furthest valve for 1 minute from the controller, power off the clock, remove the common and MV wires. Connect a stationmaster to those wires and actuate the MV with all zones shut. Look at the meter until you are satisfied and hook the 2 wires back up. Then you can have a beer!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of beer?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Poly everything here. Master valve with flow control only on systems where supply exceeds 85 psi.