Who uses POLY for main line?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to install poly mainlines. Only 1" though, and of course a MV. I like the stuff because its much easier to work with, more forgiving of roots etc. I have yet to have any issues with any poly systems myself put in or any that have been in the ground for a while in the area. Just my 02

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Tree roots will crush poly more rapidly than they will sch 40 PVC, but no plastic is immune from that sort of thing.

Has anyone here ever seen CPVC at a sprinkler supply?

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that it will happen just the same, I have yet to see though a poly line bust and cause a big leak when a tree root got it. Where as I have had to fix numerous pvc breaks. Not to mention sometimes the spider crack you have to follow when repairing cracked pvc...

4. Rcn971

Rcn971 LawnSite Member

I use copper all the way out up into the Backflow, then sched 40 for the drop.

5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

i can get anything for services. just did one that was a 2" HDPE. last one was copper. the one before that, the guy stubbed out it CPVC. i ended up replacing it all with sch40 back to the threaded valve. copper is ideal, but also expensive.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you placed any sch 40 PVC indoors you can get called out on that. Sch 80, too. Any PVC, for that matter. Drainage only.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I take copper right to the ground.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, I had one this summer in fact, that ended up going for about 4 ft down the pipe length.......never seen that happen so long.....

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

We used to take pvc into the ground. but as I learned here pvc is not uv resistant. My boss loves seeing and installs copper into the ground.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Good man....