Who Uses Resperator Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Feb 16, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody use any sort of protection for the Lungs ??

Lou :confused:

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LOU--yes I do. when I have to I use the paper mask. and that is mostly when it is very dry but moist enough for the grass to still grow.

I am not too worried about my lungs and dust but heavy dust does tend to flair up my sinuses.

I have one yard in particular that belongs to one of the little old ladies that I started the biz with and it is horrible for blowing dust.

I don't mind mowing there too bad because she helped me get started and it pays really well.payup

GEO

3. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

a little dust wont hurt anyone ...how many of you guys smoke ??thats got to be worse than a little grass haha

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I keep masks in the truck. There have been times when the dust was just too much in the dry summer and I'd be coughing really hard. That's when I might use one. On those days, the dirt sticks to the sweat and I am the dirtiest guy around. It looks funny.

5. I wear dust masks 100%. The way my alergies work, by the time I feel there's a problem, its way too late. It can put me down for two days. So I wear them or don't work. From years of experience in a former life as a Pipeline Construction worker (SERIOUS DUST), trying just about everything on the market, the best masks are the ones used by doctors (they always have the best). They're a less restrictive, so its very easy to breath through them, even when they get sweaty. Brand name is Aseptex by 3M. Good luck trying to find them though. For some stupid reason, they're double-tuff to get.

Something I've been wondering about? What about breathing 2-Cycle engine exhaust. Its GREAT for keeping mosquitos away, but its got to be highly toxic.

6. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Always! I use the paper dust mask that you can buy at Lowes in boxes of 50. Mowing, trimming, laying pinestraw etc. anytime I produce dust. Years ago I had surgery in my throat and the least bit of dust causes major choking. I don't have a choice but to wear them. I'm glad I do for many reason.

7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 or 3 properties that can get REALLY dusty in mid-summer. I've always mean't to wear a respirator for those but never picked any up...those few lawns i just wore a bandana to try and help it somewhat.
    :blob4:

8. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, at times I need to wear a dust mask, or even a bandanna !
    I started doing some clean ups and when doing some Mulching the dirt and things, Held my breath through most of the worst. I need to invest in some, at least paper masks !! As the older you get the more your Body can't fight off little things such as Dust & Dirt !! Keep Healthy :)

Lou

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We keep a supply of paper (nuisance) dust masks in the truck. We found out that the cheapo no-name brands didn't work and/or didn't fit well, so we always buy the basic 3M brand now.
    We don't use them often, but when we need them, we REALLY need them (like the middle of a dry August). A few years ago when we had a really dry spell, I also started wearing the "chem-goggles" that fit over glasses. I looked a little silly, but I am too old to worry about fashion over intelligence.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I wear them when its dry and dusty. I also wear them when I sharpen blades.