who uses soil test as basis for fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by basic lawn, Feb 2, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

I am just curious who especially in the northeast uses soil test as basis for application of fertilizers, lime, etc.
    Precisely what info. do you look at?

thanks.
    basic lawns

2. Only if the lawn poses problems.

3. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

We dont

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I am not in the northeast but I will answer anyway.
    On new accounts that have no maintenance history and on ones I currently have, I submit samples at season start or when I acquire the accounts.
    I like to look at both the micro and macro side but really pay attention to CEC and reserve hydraulic conductivity.
    I am looking for the soils resistence to change from it's present state to a condition that will support the desired turf in the manner I expect.
    I do this for several reasons but the most prevailing is that provided a customer defaults on payment, the more information I have on what I did and why strenghtens my potential to collect.
    Pretty crappy reason, right?
    That's Texas for you.

5. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

......we're looking to find out the soil PH, whats in excess / what its short on. Thus we tailor our fertilization applications to the needs of truf & shrubs. With Regards... devildog

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Its a great way to start a lawn program. This way you know if you need to raise or lower the ph, what nutrients are low or high, and it shows the customer you know what you are talking about. Plus it generates income, how can you lose?

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it if potential new clients are skeptical or the lawn doesn't respond as good as I'd like after 7-8 routine apps. In both cases the customer pays.

New clients usually agree to buy right there and then when they know the soil test will point the way. Exisiting customers almost always agree to follow my recommendation as well. If they don't, I recommend a high potash supplement which usually helps because it is our most common deficiency.

This year I bundled aeration and a once every 3 yer soil test into my renewal package fro my pre payed programs. We'll see how that sells.

8. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

Thank you for your kind replies. It is an honor to be on this board!

Basic Lawn