Who uses standers to mow small residential yards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kse1221, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

52" Grandstand is our "main" mower.

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Lovin my new 48 V-Ride, I can't tell that it's slower than a 60" even on open lots, just so easy to turn and get around on.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It would be nice if "small" wasn't such a subjective term.

;)

4. samuel_schumaker

samuel_schumaker LawnSite Member

Ok, been on this site awhile but haven't ever posted. Whats the deal with walk behind and stander mowers? Whats the advantage of them vs. small zero turn riders? I have never seen any lawncare business in northeast Kansas use either one. Everyone here uses riders or a 21" pusher for tight spaces. Most of the guys use 60" mowers and a few have 54's. Are our lawns just that much larger in general?

5. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

People don't realize how good the stand on mowers are. They are lighter smaller and more maneuverable, unless you are riding the mower for over an hour a stander is the ticket. I will never buy another rider.

6. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ive put more hours on my stander than my zero turn. So much more efficient
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Chuckduck

Chuckduck LawnSite Senior Member

How long have you had your 48" scag vride ?
    Looking to buy either a 36" wright stander or a scag vride and don't know what to buy yet !!

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

thats a tough one.

i run a scag bride right now that whenever the guys use itÂ… i get complaints!:laugh:

I think they have brain farts about not setting the deck height right and then go as fast as jesus will carry them on a prayer.

If it's for employees, I'd get a Wright Fixed deck 36" as cheap as you can get it.

If it's for you. Deck height adjustment is nice.
    The Vride is a bit more comfortable than the Wright.

9. Chuckduck

Chuckduck LawnSite Senior Member

It's for me and I will be operating it. I had a older 36" wright stander probably a 2008 and it seemed like it would rut the grass a little bit but I heard the newer ones have slightly bigger tires in the back but haven't confirmed that yet. It's funny because if you go to a dealer that sells both they tell you to go with the scag when I see wright standees everywhere mowing

10. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

By small i meant yards from 6000sqft to 10000sqft. Also taking in to consideration the fact that you have to squeeze through a gate that is 36 inches give or take.