Who uses the 26" Snapper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Aug 8, 2005.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I am deciding on which new mower to buy as I have a gap to fill between my 21"s and the 44". I think it's going to be either a 26" or 32" (for gates), although I do not like what I have heard about the 26" Exmark's mulching abilities. So who owns the 26" snapper? Some opinons whould be appreciated, thanks!

2. bigcutup

bigcutup LawnSite Member

I bought the Snapper 26" high Wheel Walk Behind earlier this year. Overall, I have been happy with the mower. It will eventually be relegated to a back-up unit. However, don't think for 1 second it is comparable to a hydro unit. It is not. It is a step above a 21" walk behind. If it is feasible for you, I would suggest holding onto your money until you can get a single hydro unit, such as the Quick 36 Super duty. Much more versatile, & not as expensive as a dual hydro unit. I don't care for the caster lock on the Snapper. The cut is good, & satisfies the customers where I use it. Mulching with it may be a problem. I don't know if the power is there to do a good mulch job or not. Overall, I guess my opinion would be go to a Hydro unit if you possibly can afford it.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

gear transmission doesnt last very long. good engine though.

4. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a 26 with 6hp Robin engine is good quality but not strong enoughf to mulch. It will not stand up vary long and i have had many problams with it. So i would go with the 32-36 WB. 26 Is a heavy push mower hard to use on hills. I have just left mine at home. i use eather a 21 or 36 Theirs only 3 gates that i cant get the 36 into and their all less that 5000ft^2

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a lot of small lawns where a 26 would be perfect. It's too bad there's not a better one out there. Maybe Exmark will get the bugs worked out of their 26" by next season, or maybe I'll just suck it up and buy a nice 32", as it would be a great back up to the 44" also. Anyway, thanks again!

6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

If your interested in the Snapper 26", I have one with only 5 hours on it, still has the original blade on it and everything, hardly used. It also has the side bagger kit too. Bought it for a prop, and lost the account a few weeks later. Never had the need for it after that, and it's been sitting for over a year now. Just fired it up the other day because I was trying to sell it in a garage sale. Runs fine. I will let you have it cheap. Was about $1200 new with bagger, I will sell the whole works for $500.

Kevin