who using stright 2-4d?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

with all the dandelions out there, i think the cost is low..

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

In March/early April I use straight 2-4-d ester lv4 It works better at low temps and cleans up dandilions real fast, once other weeds start popping up and daytime temps rise I switch to 3-way.

3. ant

i think this yr. i am giving it a shot..

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

MMM, what is considered a low temp?

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Duekster, any ester based herbicide has a very high volatility rate above about 78*-80*F.
    So right now is a good time to apply and I have successfully applied 2,4-D at 34*F several times. I didn't like to spray at those lower temps but circumstances at the course dictated the time of the application.
    I actually got reasonable control as well but I froze my butt on that freaking Cushman sprayer though.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That brings back memories. :)

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

With all the COLD weather we are having now I think I'm going to skip on into the TSC or Orchelns and pick up a gallon of 24D Ester 4L myself... I can't even use the 3 way or Momentum I have in the garage due to the cold, and the weeds need to be taken care of now, not in a few weeks.

8. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped using the expensive 3 way mixes years ago. I use a low volatility 2, 4-D year round. I would look at getting it in the 6lb formulation rather than the 4lb. The cost difference is negligible but you can use 30% less with the 6lb so it is a whole lot cheaper. Most of the cost is in shipping.

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

i mix mine with water

10. ant

sorry guys: you know what i ment..lol