Who wants to field test this?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tanaka, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Tanaka TED-262DH Dual Handle Bulb Planter Drill

Shown with a 3" x 24" Power Planter Bit

Key Specs:

26 cc, 1.3 h.p. Tanaka engine
    20:1 gear reduction
    13 lbs.

Send me a PM or email woodlingm@tanaka-usa.com

-MW

ted_262dh.jpg

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Me, me, me, please. I plant many hundreds (often many thousands) of bulbs every year and have tried the 1/2" electric drill option - works, but not wildly convenient, I have been considering one of these for a near-future purchase. I'm also interested in whether or not this tool would be useful in the lining out of smaller plants (rather than digging long trenches and putting them out).

3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,

Give it to Kate to try out!

She always has good input on lawnsite based on her experience so if it's any good, she will be your best advocate on here.

Just remember, if it's not good, she will tell you too!

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, that looks really interesting. That would come in very handy for planting in heavy clay or rocky soil. We did one client this year with about 1000 bulbs in heavy, wet, rocky clay soil with the cordless drill and auger, and it was not much fun. Looks like being has powered would allow for greater depths and speed.

If you have but one to test, please allow Kate to get first crack at it. If you will be doing multiple tests, I have around 3-4 thousand bulbs sold for next fall as well as working on quantities for summer flowering bulbs as well and would be happy to test this tool and give detailed reports.

Kirk

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've already got a gas powered drill for bulb planting. Much smaller and lighter than that one. Looks like Tanaka is trying to re-invent the wheel.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like they created one of their own, thats called product competition. And how do you know yours is lighter and smaller from a small picture? Have you ever used one of these Tanakas?

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda looks like the auger from sears called an earthquake, i think it runs for $299.00

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

A water letter-outer?

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Because I can read. Tanaka's weigh 13#. Mine weighs 11.5#. Mine does not have bulky double handles. Mine has a 3" x18" auger, which makes it more compact. I store mine behind the backseat of my pick-up. Tanaka is re-inventing the wheel. If you call that product competition, well , then, they lost.

So, yeah, I think I can say mine is lighter and smaller.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Weight surely is one thing to consider, however so is power, and torque. Side by side comparisons would be interesting, and so would performance tests in various types of soil.