who wears a dust mask?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 20, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i wear a dust mask on dry lawns, or "dirt areas", and during leaf cleanup. anyone else wear one?

2. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have not so far, but i'm about to start since the leaves are falling. I should wear them all the time considering i'm allergic to everything outside.

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I ususally do on leaf cleanups, but don't like to the rest of the time.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

when im doing just grass...and i go through a dirty area, i just put my shirt over my nose until I get out of the area.

When I blow or mulch leaves, I should and usually do wear a mask. I am pretty alergic do dust, and grass clippings....Its not to bad though, my arms just get red:blush:

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thought about it before, but decided against it. One of my workers wears one now and then

6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I used a respirator a couple of times during leaf cleanup, tough for me to breathe through, so I do not wear them any more.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When I scalp in the spring I tried wearing a mask and goggles. The mask would get all fogged up or covered with sweat so bad I cold hardly see. Next spring I think I will try wearing a military issued gas mask I have had laying around for the last 20 or so years. Oh....I need to wear ear muffs aslo. When scalping dry bermuda and zoysia grass, that stuff will get into every orfice above the neck.

MATT

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

When I am bagging during late summer I usually wear one because the dust blows right back on me. This summer I didnt need one due to all the wet weather.

Jimbo

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, I wear one when in a drought conditions, or if i am shredding leaves, I will also wear one. The kind with the screw in cartilages works pretty good. Sometimes, I will just use one of the ( cheapo) paper mask; they fog up your sunglasses.:(

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i found away to stop the dust mask from fogging up my sunglasses. i use a rubberband on the sunglasses so that they are very tight to your face. this prevents the air when u exhale from comming up, and out of the mask, and under your glasses causing them to fog. did u ever blow your nose and see the stuff that comes out? well, that same stuff is getting into your lungs. WEAR THE DUSTMASK! its not expensive, dont get the real cheapos from the dollar store, u can get like 2 for $2.99 at home depot. they are your lungs, u only get two, protect them.