1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who welds their trimmer racks to the trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, May 28, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I always wonder why we go to great lengths to mounts our trimmer racks to the trailer and put a padlock on them when a thief could remove the whole rack with equipment in less than 10 minutes. I know the "honest thief" would probably not hassle with this, but seriously it would not take much time. I have been thinking about throwing a couple of spot weld on my racks just to insure a little more peace of mind.

Does anyone do this?
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If the thief has a couple of wreches with him, he may just have a pair of bolt cutters to cut that lock off too. I look at it this way, if they want it bad enough they are going to get it.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I built my own rack and yes I welded it to the trailer. But not because I was worried about theft. I just dont want it to come loose. I dont lock anything on my trailer.
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are welded to my trailer. I have a buddy fabricate all of my racks.
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I think that's pretty much all there is to it.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

"... if they want it bad enough they are going to get it anyway???"

"... I think that's pretty much all there is to it???"

Not if I can help it! Hey come on here -- smarten up!

Sure my racks are welded because I'm in business and I'm using these things every day. But my paddlocks are not regular paddlocks. I use the round disc locks. Sorry, they are impossible to cut with a bolt cutter. If fact, all my locks on the trailer, trimmers, two blowers and tailgate lock, are all the round disc locks.

I no longer worry about losing equipment at night or in a parking lot, because there hadn't been any attempt in the past two years. But before that I had two thefts that cost me big bucks.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Are those round locks resistant to liquid nitrogen? Are they resistant to a torch? The average thief has gotten smarter and they take around better tools of crime than the average bolt cutter.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

cant they just take off the weedeater head and handel, and pull it out.
  9. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

battery operated sawzall will have any rack off in a matter of seconds.......
  10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

now days they take the whole trailer