Who works alone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michindi, Feb 9, 2004.

1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Im just wondering who works alone without any help and how many yards can you do a day?

2. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I worked alone for about 10 years. I still kind of miss doing that sometimes. I could manage about 4-5 a day by myself, which was enough for what I was trying to accomplish at that time, I had about 37 clients, and all of the profit went to my account, I had knee surgery a while ago and someone offered to run my business while I was out, he did such a good job I kept him on and let the business grow.......

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I work solo and on a perfect day i.e. no equipment problems, perfect temp, I can mow between 10 and 15. Keep in mind that I dont take on large yards. Most of mine are 1/4 acre or less, also my route is tight ( very little windsheild time). The other gentlemen reporting that they do five or so lawns are more than likely mowing more acreage and the routing maybe isn't as tight.

4. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

That is true. The yards I am speaking of are quite larger than 1/4 acre, with lots of pine trees etc. There were of course the exceptions, the smaller yards I would group together and could knock off about 8-10 of those in a day, but where I live most "good" clients have quite a bit of property. Eric

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

With a good WB and top notch trimmer and blower, 20 per day. These are $30.00 to $40.00 yards in a fairly tight route. Helps if you're young.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

just me 12-17 just depends on the weather

7. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

TaylorLawn...I've had several knee surgeries, recovered from them but have some degree of pain, stiffness, etc. I'm new and am putting together a plan for a solo operation for this summer. Wanting to be active I'm contemplating doing alot of walking, and have been given advice (all good) about being new (and heavy - 300 lbs) and possible adverse effects of marathon walking - almost a rider vs walkbehind, but from a health perspective. Any thoughts...? Tony

8. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

In a 7 hour day i can do about 16. I have a total of 50 yards.

9. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I work by myself, can usually get about 10 done a day barring bad weather or equipment malfunction, when i was employed i worked with 2 others, on small lawns we could do about 35 a day, on the bigger ones about 25, i would rather work by myself and for myself though, things get done the way i want no ifs ands or buts.

10. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

I have worked by myself, though this year i will have to hire someone part time. I usually did about 17-20 yards a day. The most i ever did by myself was 25 though most were smaller sized yards.