Who works in Florida?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by siclmn, Mar 24, 2003.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you work in Florida and how do you work in that heat and humidity? I just got back from Boca Raton and I could only be outside for ten minutes and then I had to run back in to the air conditioning. I work near Seattle.

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You get used to it :D Last Wed. I think the heat index was about 100F . Pretty hot for March though, that weather is usually reserved for June to September. Seriously though, my secret, I try not to do too much between noon and 3pm during those months. Sometimes it isn't avoidable, but I at least try to work out of the direct sunlight during those hours. Of course I have to work until 9pm a lot as a trade-off :eek:
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to get use to it and still have to be careful as the Bear will get you when you least expect it.. Drink plenty of Water, Gatorade, etc.... My brother's wife is from the Seattle area and she couldn't believe the humidity, they are in Miami. Have allot of respect for the heat.... As it is Dangerous....

Lou :cool:
  5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously, I start early in the morning- 7am ish. Keep the ac in my truck off all day and move slow! Drink lots of cold water and smile big and wide when people drive by shaking their head and dropping their jaw.

I wear a broad brimmed straw hat, dowse myself with water periodically and just keep plowing ahead.

6. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Moved down here in 96 from the frigid north (NJ). Started my solo LCO business 3 years ago. It simply cannot get too hot for me. I drink water all day, go through 4-5 16 oz bottles a day. When it gets in the 60's here I complain I'am cold. I just spent too much time up north freezing my a** off. :cry:

I generally schedule any heavy work between 8-10 AM, I am lucky enough to have all my accounts less then a half mile from my home, So I can and have changed clothes 2-3 times a day.

I also keep thinking of that cold brew and shower waiting for me at the end of my day:blush:
  7. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

When you are use to running in 90+temp and near 100% humidity, working in it is really pretty easy. I have lived on the FL gulf coast all my life. The hat and proper clothing are the key.

I have problems in the arid areas of the country.

:blob3: :cool:

GREEN DRAGON LM LawnSite Member

start early 7am. sunscreen, big hat, lots of water. with this I can work all day
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Water and more water. Stay away from heavy meals. Hey TomT, where about on the gulf coast are you?

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Been here since 1986. Start working at 7am and continue till I finish or get rained out whichever is first. Hate it when it is cold and just can't stand to work during the winter so I split all accounts and finish by noon in winter. Usually 5pm or so in summer. I drink water, diet coke, and sports drinks. As much as I can. I don't eat breakfast or lunch cause I just don't feel like it. I start drinking fluids as soon as I wake up around 5am and don't stop. Wear floppy hat, shorts and short sleeve shirt. Never use AC but have a fan in the truck. Usually no problem. The worst part for me is when I walk out of the house first thing in the morning and it is 78 degrees with about 80% humidity. After about 15 minutes I am good to go.:D