Who works Part Time at a time clock punching job to get benefits....?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Exact Rototilling, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, UPS...etc. Seems to be the bigger Co. with the better perks.

Please describe what the benefits are....?

Would you quit the lawn biz and take full time work instead of Part Time?

2. Not me, I get what benefits I have from the Veterans Administration. Those part time jobs won't come with benefits anyway. Self employed has to get health care from wherever they can. Lots of different sources. You can't find one policy that'll cover everything like you used to. And if you did dig deep and pay the price for health insurance, chances are you'd find yourself paying the premiums AND paying for the procedure. "Because we don't cover thaaat."

I get medical from the VA
    Dental from the county dentist at a reduced rate.
    Eyegalsses from Zinni Optical on line.

3. bdconsoli

bdconsoli LawnSite Member

Actually plenty of companies will offer benefits to part time employees after a certain amount of time. Its usually 18 months or 2 years but it's the same benefits they give to the full time employees it just takes a little longer to get them.

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the insurance premiums for self employed are very high with crummy coverage and high deductibles. I negotiated hernia surgery last year at a deep discount from.what an.insurance holder would have to pay.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I catch shoplifters on tbe weekends. Only pays $14 per hour but i get cheap insuroance and 4 weeks off paid. Plus, i like takin down bad guys.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I got my health ins the old fashioned way. I married a woman that gets it from her employer.

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I have two question's for people that pay for their own health insurance. How old are you ? How much do you pay monthly ?

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I work at UPS. I do what we call pre-load (we load the trucks in the morning) I work from 5-to about 8am Mon- Fri about 15-18 hours a work. I'm under the union, I can't make a living off of my income there but, my benefits are unbelievable. Free health, life, vision, dential and a drug card. All free with cheap co-pays. At my center there are about 6 of us that are LCO's. It really works out great.

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

My wife just took a part time job that pays peanuts but we both can get the insurance.
    Got lucky with that.

When we had insurance, back when I was doing better in business, I was paying almost $900 a month for 2 of us in our 20's

10. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I get mine through the VA aswell.

I have a budy in this industry that has a great method for health insurance. He enrolls each fall in one of the community colleges and pays 1,300 for a full year of insurance. He then withdraws from the classes before they start so he gets a full refund for the tuition. For 1,300yr its a great policy, he went a night in the ER last year, had xrays, 2 sets of MRIs and a cat scan aswell as a bunch of blood and other lab test done and his total was only areound $200. With most policies he would be paying 1,500-2,000+ for all of the testing