1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who worries about not getting accounts back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering, I find myself every winter worring about how many accounts im gonna lose. I always say "what if". They key to growing a business is customer retention. While in all actuality I know it won't be that many, it's just bothers me that anything can happen. I keep saying to myself what if I only get half of the contracts I sent out back?

Who else experiences this? I think this applies to both big companies and smaller ones as well.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats something out of yur controll. Worrying about what might or might not happen when theres nothing you can do will mentally drain you, and once that happens you will begin to hate the work/job so only worry about what you can change and the rest will fall into place
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't hardly thought about it. The thought is there, but I pretty much know who will and who won't come back.

As Mac said, you can't think about that too much. I'm focusing my attention on how to grow my business next year, if I thought about the current customers too much then it would distract me from what I'm doing. I did my best to keep them happy and if I loose a few, so be it. Theres always more.
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 100% customer retention except of course when someone moves. The key is just be honest and keep your customers happy by doing great work and you will be fine. :waving:
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Amen - Amen - Amen
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with Mac,
    If they change their mind, so be it, no reason to lose sleep over it
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Mac is right, you cant worry about what you cannot change, it does drain you. Just do your best every season, and keep in contact with them over the winter, just so they dont think you have diaappeared, and they look for another guy in the spring.

Best of Luck.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I too have not had a problem of retaining customers. My question is who to drop, thinking I can find another that will be more profitable, more hospitable (read: likes the work, pays their bills). I'm solo, with only about 45 customers. My pattern has been to consider dropping off about three or four each season, hoping I can find "better" replacements. I never have a problem in finding replacements, but the question of whether or not they were better than the ones dropped off. Being a small operator, I am willing to overlook some faults when I can group many customers into one unloading stop. In other words, a customer might not be as profitable in and of themselves, but in their location, working their property is best use of my time for best profit.

I am learning that after many years of service, some customers have become a bit presumptious. No doubt, I have fostered some of that thinking. But, they may be laying their foundation for searching for another contractor.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Like in "what if I can't keep up" is what is on my mind at the beginning of the year.
  10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I lost my first account of the season the other day. Got a letter with final payment saying that I have done a very good job over the years (9 to be exact), but they have retained someone else.