Who would load up for $55

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

If you got a call on friday night to mow saturday and you did not plan on working ....would you do it for $55 and it was under 10 miles away...about 1/2 acre?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Way I see it, Lawncare is agricultural and from what I understand, ag folk work Mon-Fri FULL-time while Saturday is optional, could be a full day but really a half-day is nice as a way to finish off the week / get a head-start on next.

Most the time I don't leave the house for anything less than 3 yards and I prefer 4, but then I hardly get $55 for a full acre, cut + trim.

So yeah I likely would do it, $55 for 1/2 acre up to 10 miles one way. Couple hours at most with driving and all and IF I didn't have a full schedule, that is.

3. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

Yes, Yes,Yes

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

subtract the gas cost and travel time cost,..... your windsheild time is of value also

most of my lawns are within 5 miles, so i may do this alot if i feel like it, some are a couple blocks away....

5. jbell113

I was hoping for a positive answer on this cuz I got that call tonight. Thanks for the quick reply

6. jbell113

I did add $10 to the cost. I qouted it at $45 last week

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I would do it in a heartbeat, Saturday morning or Saturday night at 10PM, makes no difference to me.

8. jbell113

Hows business down in your neck of the woods...Has it picked up any?

9. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what size mower will you be using?

10 miles away= 10-12 mins if your able to drive 60 mph.... more realistic, 15mins X 2 (both ways)= 30 mins windshield time....$5 in truck fuel & about another $8 for all equipment fuel for an hr. allowance.... $5 + $8= $13 in fuel expense

22 mins in travel = $22.... $22 + $13= $35 dollars total.... $55- $35= $20

i'de charge a drop gate of $30 so that would include a job under .25 acre = 10 mins or less.... so .50 acres = a job that could be in & out for 45 mins including travel (actual cut time= 15mins or so) w/o expenses... $35 + $13 expense = $48....

if all this makes sense, go out there & GIT R DONE!

10. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a one time mow, or did you land the account??