1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kse1221, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question.

A person that wants to take a risk and try something new?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

I do not need to advertise so that saves me 10% and I think I am closer to the 70% range as solo.

3. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

Well I read the posts and didn't see the twist. Keep your full time job and run your business part-time. I have been doing it for years. I work a lot a real lot. 50 hrs. plus full time and till dark the rest of the time. I work 7 days a week. The nice thing for part-time is I pick and choose. I make time for the family and go on vacation to boot. I have a small crew on call when needed. Not to big not to small. I'm the boss and I make it work. Stress sure....But a trip to the zoo or to a movie with the family brings me back. Some lawns once a week and the 10 day lawns are in fact bi-weekly. Be honest with all people involved so you can sleep at night and people understand its part-time. If they don't....CUT THEM LOOSE.....LESS STRESS in your life. You will never please those customers. Good luck.....
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I made $48,xxx when i was with a state IT job years ago. I already had lawns, maintenance, starting snow plowing but up till then only did driveways and snow blowing, seeding, aerations, new landscape installs for homeowners etc.

Technically benefits were great for that job, but i knew i could do 10x better, i'm not comparing a 50k yr job to going out solo and mowing lawns though, we have multiple trucks, equipment etc. and nearly all commercial accounts.
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device[/siz

Shenangans in so many ways I don't know where to begin.
    ericg likes this.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

As usual forgot to pay taxes and put away for retirement. Expenses are light especially if your marketing for significant growth.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.
  7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't quit my job to start a business. You're not guaranteed to make that much money your first year or even in five years. Running a business can be stressful. I'd stay at your current job for 58k a year.
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I could not agree more.

It really helps when other family members are on board and help in any capacity. I have often wondered how many folks in the biz really excel in absolutely every area of the business purely solo, then hire and grow, and do really well and DON'T burn out...?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Ok the post is who would quit a job making 58,000 year to do this. I would and did I was making much more than even 58k. Some of you may be in markets that you could not but here there is not a limit on what you can make in this business. But you have to be a great business person and you have to hire the right people from your office staff to your sales staff. I have many friends that are among the most successfull in our town four of them will clear more than one million this year. Making 300-400k profit is easy i have done it so do not listen to these guys say you cant even make 58k prior to 2008 it was easier than now but building is going on and installs are picking up.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

it depends on what it is. I quit a job making $18 an hour to start my business.. ok so thats not close to 58k. but I made 50k one year with overtime, but that was just one year when they let me work overtime. the only reason i left is because they wouldn't take me off night shift, and it was more strenuous than lawn care work because i was pretty much lumping boxes all night long and i was sick of it.

now, would i have quit a 58k a year job with bennies if it was a desk job? lol.. probably not.

I Grossed just under 28k this year, being my first year full time. $16k in expenses, and thats after fuel, some advertising, some equipment purchases. I didn't pay myself a dime this year. I'm going into the end the year with about 9k saved, and after i pay taxes i'm assuming i'm gonna be starting out next year scraping up whatever i can to get started.. lol. I have no regrets (yet), i'm much happier. and i found all kinda new ways to cook ramen noodles. :laugh: I didn't get into this because i had dreams of being rich, i just like this kinda work.