Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kse1221, Apr 30, 2012.

1. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

I am 37 bit I am looking to the future.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

Crews cost money, get help when needed, and grow into bigger.
  3. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

When I was having more bad days than good I quit my real job back in 1990.

Went 100% on my own, never had employees, and have no regrets. BUT !!!! I had enough money not go to into debt.... had no dependents.... had no outstanding bills... no real responsibilities.... and had youth and good health.

I survived on my savings to keep going, and now live only on those savings and investments that my real job had provided for me those many years ago. Always made enough to keep going and be happy, but lived ever so frugal for all those years.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! But never never never if I had people that I loved depending on me to provide for them.
  4. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

So you would just be unhappy at your job but be happy that you can only pay your limited bills and have no extra money to do anything else.?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

So you would just be unhappy at your job but be happy that you can only pay your limited bills and have no extra money to do anything else.?

May sound goofy.... but yes.

I loved my real job for over 20 years. Was decent money with Excellent benefits and retirement package. But too much changed and had no more satisfaction of a job well done at the end of the day. Not that you always do being self employed either, but your fate is in your own hands more than not.

I passed up a few opportunities over the years to take on some really large accounts because I wanted to remain solo and small, and never had any regrets. Just thank God my health has been good for all these years.
  6. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

I know several landscapers who are still going strong at 70.If hard manual labor doesn't appeal to you,you don't have what it takes to make it as a landscaper.
    The reason they are still working at 70 is they don't have a company sponsored pension plan,just SS and the income from their business.
  7. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

My son quit his job in North Dakota 3 years ago and came to work in our lawn care business full time. I was wanting to slow down and had enough clients that he could make a living comparable to what he was making in his old job. He is a go getter and since he has joined me the business has more than doubled ( so much for slowing down) .His wages has also increase so that he is making More than his old job. Sometimes it is a gamble but the stress at the corporate level is not worth it. He now enjoys his family more and a whole lot less stress.
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Success in lawn care is like success in pursuing a career as a Firefighter EMT. A few make it ....most don’t. Some will just take a test score high and interview well and get hired with little to zero preparation. Others get all the books testing material, interview coaching physical training, tattoo removal, volunteering 30 hours a week...... you name it and will never get hired after 15 years of testing.

Mow a few lawns on the weekend keep it simple. There is no way I’d quit a secure decent paying job with benefits for this. :hammerhead:

If you are married be prepared to have your marriage tested. If your wife is not on the same page it will become .... A TOTAL UPHILL BATTLE. :cry: Wives need to understand this business is not a regular time clock punching job in a factory. Work is seasonal, weather is a HUGE hassle, family time is sacrificed and along list of other disastrous consequences if there is not a proper understanding of the bigger picture.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

No, no and h*ll no would I quit it!! I will trade you all I have have, truck, equipment and everything for your job right now! Does that answer your question on how I feel? LOL
  10. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

My goal is to have a lawn business. Grow my business and have employees doing the back breaking labor. People do it everyday. There is a difference between being self employed (you) and being a business owner. Did Sam Walton still sack groceries at the super Walmart.... No. Does the papa johns pizza guy still deliver pizza? No. I am no stranger to labor, but I want a business not another job.
    Posted via Mobile Device