Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kse1221, Apr 30, 2012.

1. arninglawns

arninglawns LawnSite Member

I do it every day.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You have a unique job and very understanding employer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. arninglawns

I do not have a job. The lawn business can almost run itself, you just have to put the right systems into place.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Get your story straight. You tell him NOT to quit his job AND work ON a business. Then you tell me you do that everyday but you only have the lawn business. So you cannot say you work a job and run a business everyday.

You are not in the same situation you are advising him to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

How do you not have a job? There are companies around me that gross over 5 mil... and you know what the owner still shows up everyday. Do you have an example of these "systems" because I've been doing this for close to 9 years and I still wake up and go to work everyday.

6. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont take this the wrong way but your nuts, not because you want to quit a 58k a year job. Your nuts because you think your going to walk out side some morning and have 3 crews sitting there and waiting for you. Its not going to happen. Unless your a low baller you most likely wont see good accounts add up more than 10 a year. From the sounds of it, you have zero landscaping (and when I say landscaping im not talking cutting grass) zero hardscaping and zero tree/application experience. Those are the services you make money doing, grass just pays a few bills every month. You say you want to own a landscaping company, however judging from your comments you dont seem to understand or have what it takes to own or open a company. Sure that 90 dollars for an acre is good money but take out fuel, taxes (were I live its 36% and that includes sales tax) insurance, advertising, shop payment, phone payment, equipment replacment fee, truck replacement fee, I could go on and on your left with maybe 10 dollars. I hope im wrong and you can open a huge company I honestly do, however imo you should stick to your corporate job. The chacnes of you seeing 58k in your first 5-10 years especially in this economy is not going to happen. Btw I love my job, but im also realistic about it.

7. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

Your right I don't have any hard scape experience. Or application experience. I know there is money in that. I appreciate all the opinions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not trying to look down or put you down, but you really need to ask yourself do I want to do this. Its great to have dreams, and you cant accomplish anything without a dream but its going to take a **** load of hard work by you. Your not going to have crews the day you start, I wish you could you cuould but thats not the way it works. Any questions im not the biggest or the best on this site but I do well, IM willing to answer. this is a life changing decision in your life so make sure you treat it like that.

9. arninglawns

You said it was impossible to assemble a crew and route and leave them unsupervised. And I was saying that I do that every day. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I could, theoretically, work a 40 hour a week job. But I prefer not.

Just trying to help.

10. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So what are you going to do? What plans do you have?