Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kse1221, Apr 30, 2012.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. kse1221

kse1221 LawnSite Member

there was no post. try reposting your comment please.
  3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Good advice....also tell him how difficult it is to find and keep good help.
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

This thread makes me glad I started when I was 19. 2013 will be my 6th year and I still have not made a dime thats been spent on anything but more equipment and food. Not sure if the OP plans on doing larger landscaping stuff but thats the equipment that will eat up your money for years and still have a long list of things you need.
  5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all in what makes you happy. I made 49 and walked away and haven't looked back.
    P.S. They called me the other week and ask me If I would work for them during the winter and I said yes.
  6. Gilbert503

Gilbert503 LawnSite Member

Don't do it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. wz2p7j

wz2p7j LawnSite Member

KSE, you need to buy a landscaping business, not start one. If you start one, everything everyone has said here will be true. You need to buy one at about a $1.2 mil sales level. Typically at that level you'll have several crew leaders in place and probably a person in an "operations manager" capacity that runs everything (i.e. NOT you). Check out Bizquest.com or Bizbuysell.com.

Expect to pay about $500-800K for such a beast, though, depending on many factors including your part of the country. You can finance using the SBA or better yet, seller financing. You can also leverage your 401k WITHOUT tax penalty. Check out Guidant Financial.

I've bought 2 landscape companies in the last 4 years using the above strategy and run about 8 crews with 2 ops managers and 2 office managers. One deal in Chicago and one deal in Florida fell through. I also brokered a deal that leveraged the buyers 401k in MI. Shoot me a PM if you want to learn more.

8. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be better off building a different type of business. Selling a lawn care business seems to yield less than an average return.
  9. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

not sure were you get theses numbers from but they are far from reality...
  10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Not sure which way your going with this. All figures might be slightly low but its close if your not putting any salary into your expenses and working by yourself. You should be able to do more $ in a day and spend a little more too. Expenses working by yourself with good equipment should be about 25%. I assume these nubers are for an 8 hour day.