Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kse1221, Apr 30, 2012.

1. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Everything seems low plus there are many many things that got over looked that happen that aren't on there id say 20grand expenses is more realistic some years are gonna be better but average your numbers seem awfully low
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

This all sounds good, but it's not realistic, you'll spend all your time managing all of this too, it won't happen on auto pilot. Unless you have a TON of money to put into payroll, for a general manager to handle the day to day stuff, but those guys don't come cheap and are few and far between, and you'll have to manage him too.

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ya, add book work time, breakdowns, traffic, needy customers. I have days where I make $300-500 profit, I have others that I make a negative income.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

They arent my numbers, I was agreeing with them for the most part though. It looks like he lumped alot into "misc". I think your overlooking that those are expenses for a mowing season (27 weeks) not a year.

5. kyles landscape

BINGO! not to mention your 8 hour mowing day coming home changing oil greasing machines changing/sharpening blades doing paperwork or any sort of billing, fixing equipment because we all know **** breaks here and there. You just need to try to limit those neagtive days your never gonna comepletly elimnate them because you can never fully factor in that what if

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Then add employees being slow and not caring. Shoot one of my guys turned a 1hr job into 4hrs because he thought he was doing it properly and did not figure out the quicker way of doing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kyles landscape

yes the numbers are low but im also saying you are forgetting very many expenses...

that 5000 in misc will be blown through in no time not to mention you forgot vehicle ins along with business ins.

*basic maintenance let alone repairs
    *800 in advertising wont get you very far how ever it is a start
    *most people have to buy a trailer....plates, stickers, ins all adds up on that
    *most people need a place to store the gear....storage,ins etc adds up
    *assuming the customer always pays on time or at all which sometimes happens
    *paying for stamps computer ink and paper add up much quicker then you think as well
    *dumping fees if you collect leaves/clippings
    *buying the equipment if your not lucky enough to have some already could be a 10-100,000 initial but ongoing expense

thats to name a few it isnt as easy as people say it is and it isnt as hard you just need to know what your getting into and bust your ass

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

he would only make that mistake once

9. kyles landscape

haha i dont have to tell you! add employees add workers comp add a wage for them add big time to repairs and hope you add a bunch of work bc for the headaches your gonna need it

10. kyles landscape

thats what you think unfortunatley not reality. unless you have some one with common sense mistakes are an on going daily problem. and every job is different with ways to do it and your order of operations takes time and planning to get were you need to be doesnt happen over night

for every good emplloyee you find generallly you need to weed out a few first