Who Would still use a Weel-Barrel?!!?!?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lazor-cut, Apr 28, 2013.

1. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

For the longest time i wondered about how to make mulch jobs more productive... Last fall we purchased a JD 2320 with 200cx Front loader... Havent looked back since. One guy dropping piles with the loader and 2-3 others spreading. Best Thing ever!

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Never used or seen a wheel barrel before! Now I do keep a wheelbarrow on the dumptrailer.

3. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Hahahahah..... Wait, you mean "wheelbarrow" right? This is just a pet peeve of mine when people say wheel barrell... completly wrong... Anyway, a lot of bigger companies that have commercial accounts or huge residentials just blow mulch in and this is absolutely the most effecient way.... Dropping piles with a loader is OK and definitely saves time but you have to be very careful not to waste mulch. If you have inexperienced guys spreading then you might notice that all of the sudden you have used 10 more yards than last year! How did that happen? Well, if the loader operator is just dumping piles and not shaking them out then the spreaders will inadvertantly leave the center of the pile many inches to deep... Being in an air conditioned cab most certainly beats pushing a wheel barrow though any day!

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

5. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

Love the ear protection on the machine and not the operator!

I spread mulch with my Gc2300- just need to be careful not to damage turf

6. lazor-cut

from Wixom

Lol voice to text always messes me up! And the turf tires really help. Also weighing about the same as a ZTR helps too. In terms of the guys spreading evenly we haven't had too much of a problem with that as the loader op. should place the piles far enough to allow equal spreading

7. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a small backhoe for it and it will become the Bestest Thing ever!

We purchased a Bx25 and do similar with it. http://youtu.be/jo6lrxEjGk4

Feels good to take those important 10 minute talk breaks throughout the day and still be more productive than the tractor-less way.

8. lazor-cut

from Wixom

Its truly Phenomenal. We're going to get the backhoe and post hole digger for it soon!
    We even upgraded from a 54" bucket to a 60" bucket. Its amazing how much more you can fill! Trugreen and even Davey tree have this same tractor...Just in a different outfit of course! Its pretty cool