Who would you hire?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jun 10, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, this is the funny for the day. It has been a VERY busy couple of weeks. I was asked to bid on a commercial job today. Two people showed up. The guy below and me. Who would you hire to take care of your multi-million dollar bussiness when image is important?

The bottom line... look professional for those big jobs. This guys price was 63% less then mine and I got the job.

View attachment Image001.jpg

2. naturescaretaker

3. naturescaretaker

I forgot to mention. I had to jump the other guy because his truck would not start.

I guess the reason I am bringing this up is that when you are starting out don't jump for the BIGGEST jobs in town. Work you way up to them. Get some experience under your belt. Then go for the larger jobs. This contract was worth $68K for maintenance alone at 17 locations.

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hey-
    Is that the Tanaka TBC-340PF I see there?

-MW :)

5. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

So do Most people bring all there biggest baddest equipment witht em to bid on jobs?? I definately would have gotten you...

6. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

What kinda business is it?

7. naturescaretaker

Yup... sure is.

8. naturescaretaker

The guy owns 17 restaurants in the area. All are middle to upscale in design and layout.

9. naturescaretaker

Doubt that. I forgot to add that he showed up wearing a tank top and flip flops. The **** had food stains on it.

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Great point Coastal, I would rather work my tail off to get to the point your at wit reputation (good and intact) than to be known for shoddy work because of biting off more than I could chew.

Thanks for a really intelligent post with good advice for new guys in business. This is my first year and in addition to doing top notch quality work, I have stressed "business curb appeal" There is so much to learn in this business, image is just as critical as the rest. Great article in PRO magazine this month on image.

-Geoff