Who Would You Hire?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It seems that most members on here deal in mostly residential. If one of these members wants to expand their client base lets look at our business from the clients prospective for a minute to see it from their side.

Lets say John and Jane Doe both upperly mobile 30ish executives have just purchased a new home in a trendy subdivison and decided to hire out their lawn mowing. As John and Jane who would you hire, A, B, or C and why, (so that you won't say I don't cut lawns for less than $XX, just assume that the price of A is the going rate for LCO's in this area and then the others are revelant to that price).

A) Professional, Licensed, Bonded and Insured Uniformed LCO, using marked company trucks and professional grade commercial equipment whose quote was $39.50 a week

B) Some guy who just showed up in the neighborhood driving his personal vehicle with limited and old homeowner equipment, no mention of insurance or licensing, no uniform or anything close to it, but quoted you $32.00 a week

C) The friendly and nice, but also uninsured and unlicensed neighbor kid who quoted you $27.00 a week

2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Why does it matter for us, mostly people in the COMMERCIAL LAWN MOWING are going to hope they choose A. Maybe find a homeowner type forum for lawn care(ex: how to do fertilizer, mower maintenance, etc..), I know I've seen one. Of course some are going to choose B and C. You will also soon find rich people hire the cheap and middle class hire the true LCO's.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

A....biggest reason is he insured. I wouldn't want to pay for any damamges caused by his negligence. I know it doesn't happen often but damages like broken windows or heaven forbid he would hurt someone with a flying rock or something. Other reasons would be reliability, lots of the "moonlighters" here don't cut on a scheduled day, to me thats kind of important. Proffesional grade equipment often shows comitment, meaning I would not have to look for another lawn service next year or when you decide that you want out. Once a substantial investment is made most work hard to make their business grow and become successful.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Are the couple indebted up to their eyeballs to look like they are upwardly mobile but really work as wal-mart greeters in another town? If so C

If the couple wants a show place for their new money and realizes like their new mercedes, the yard will need some upkeep from a skilled professional. Then A

If they are losers who don't value you their lawn. Then C

If they are just cheap. Then B or C

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

D. the homeless guy on the off ramp that uses my old push mower in exchange for a cold beer

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'd hire b, or c. there ARE alot of people who will hire a, but, not enough to keep a in business. the days of "a" are over. learn to adapt, or learn how to scoop dog crap, on my payroll

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I'd call for more estimates.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The smart person would hire A as I would. However, in my area the answer for 90% would be C. Dont care about license or insurance just want "cheap".

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The truth is that most do go for "A"..........we hear a lot of stories about the rest but the majority are thinking individuals.

10. Rayray

Rayray LawnSite Member

Sometimes I think that customers dont want the large upscale companies, the ones with the shiny new trucks and mowers, polo shirts that are soo clean, it makes u wonder how these guys can do work and not ruin their clothes,,

I feel that a lot of my customers just want their grass cut,,thats it,, for the best price, they dont want to hire the most respected lco for fear that they are too expensive,,or too complicated, or maybe they dont feel that their lawn is worth that much,,

More offen then not customers are just lookin for a nice, simple, small company that can treat them with one on one personal service.

A lot of times, when i am giving estimates, customers ask me if I personally will be cutting their grass, how can I assure them that my crew will treat their lawn as if they owned it?