who would you rather work for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, May 2, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I know that the big push around here is to work for the high end residential accounts, but I am getting tired of it. Tired of all the politics, all the BS that goes along with the money. I have worked for both the wealthy, and the people who just are regular people. Those regular people rarely put up problems about getting paid, if they agree to pay a bill.. they stick by it. They are appreciative, and kind. The wealthy, they can be really nice, bring you out food, invite you in to eat, maybe give you a tip every now and again, but all the BS that goes on with them, who you know, who they know, the way that you treat them, how they treat you... I'm just getting tired of it.

Today I went to see a client who is worth in excess of $400,000,000 regarding a job for a friend of his which would have been in the neighborhood of $250,000. After leaving there, I felt like I wanted to rip out all of my hair, I was just so fed up with it.

Sorry for ranting, just had to blow off some steam.

2. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Laymen are the ones who get the job done and the ones who know the value of hard work. It takes all types to make the world go round. Add 20% for the PITA factor. LOL

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

25 accounts are in the middle class and a couple are high end. No one here targets the middle class instead opting to inundate the higher class neighborhoods. Like my middle class. They are happy that you show up as scheduled do a good job and bill appropriately.

4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I stick to cemeteries, low income housing projects, high weed complaints (zoning violations) for local communities, realtors with vacant properties. I've had other guys tell me there is no way they'd take their mowers where I go with mine, but I'm happy, making money and don't have to listen to a lot of complaints. Did residential the first 2 years I cut and have very few of the original customers left and don't advertise for new. I guess its each to his own. I've got three crews runnng and have to work overtime most weeks to finish we've got so much business.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

There is a reason the wealthy have all the money...They dont like giving it away, and will nickle dime you to death. Sure there are the few who dont mind parting with it, but for the most part, they will be the richest people in the grave.:rolleyes:

6. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

The residential jobs for 85-year-old ladies on limited pensions can leave a fellow flustered, too. So can the lot cleanups... or the a**inine details that a wealthy, egocentric businessman want you to do for his yard.

Like steve says above, "it is each to his own" ...or simply put; just what brand of baloney are you willing to deal with to make it on your own out there?