Who Would You Spend The Most Time With As A Dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Aug 18, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Lets say you are a commercial mowing equipment dealer that sells the hottest brand (XYZ Mowers) of mowers currently on the market. You are on the sales floor on a Monday and you are the only sales person there because your other salesmen are in training say. You look up and the four "levels" of potential buyers below walk through your doors all looking at new ZTR mowers. None of them are prior buyers, but through conversation and/or prior knowledge you know their "levels". Would you spend more time and effort in selling with one than the other? If so which one would you spend the most time and effort on and why? If you did is this fair?

#1) Fulltime LCO owner whose business is well known in the area.

#2) Part-time small LCO owner.

#3) Early Teenage (under 18) Year old Neighbohood boy.

#4) Homeowner

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

take them all as a group and show them what you mower can do for all of them at ones and make 4 sales.

3. MMLawn

ah...but not possible because each will have different applications for the equipment and probably also different needs....

4. hole in one lco

If i was the lco . Id hire the kid get the homeowner as a customer buy a mower and go home

5. hole in one lco

first come first served

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If I was a dealer, and my family was depending on me to make the sales so we could eat, I would first spend time with #1. That would be in my mind, the best chance of a sale. Of course there are always exceptions, but I would take my chances with #1 first. Is this fair to the other 3 people standing there waiting too? No, but life isn't always fair.
    Of course mmlawn, this was the answer you were fishing for right? ;)

7. MMLawn

"Fishing", Now my feelings are hurt Esteemed Mrs. MOD :cry:

I see it as a very legitmate question that probably happens more than we realize. Yes, I know what I would do and why and you hit on "part" of it but there is more to who and why I would approach than just the sale. Hum....who and what reason could that be?

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Its always nice to have the big company's running around town with YOUR mowers on their trailers.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

#2.....#1 already has a dealer and may not be willing to change.

#2 is looking for a dealer for life.

#3 & #4 will probably be a less profitable customer than #2.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Hands down #1 if I do not get that treatment you lose me and while I am not huge I do spend 25-40k a year at my dealer. Which is why he even stayed there to midnight this year so I could pick up my new mowers as soon as he had them built and have them for the next cutting day. In my personal business I do not like having to kiss up to any of my customers but this is a completely different game there are not that many guys buying Lazer XS mowers so I would think you would have to go to who puts food on your table. Say you take my area there are 245 landscapers listed in the yellow pages this is a book of 30 some odd towns though. How many of them can even afford new mowers perhaps 100 and now you need to get them to spend it with you at your dealership one of them is worth 20-100 smaller customers.

The other guys you listed look at the price and go from place to place they think its so much money and debate if they should or shouldn’t do it. For a me its not even in question just today my personal crew me and one 11 an hour guy 12 hour day broke 800 dollars in cuts that does not include the 700 dollars my partners crew took in. what’s 8-10k for a new 60 inch mower when you can pay for one in 2 weeks of cutting. Now if you are not serious in to lawn care it may take you most of the year to pay for that mower so you are a much weaker sales lead.