1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who'd Like a Decent Hand Spreader- Listen Up Earthway

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had kept every Scott's spreader I've gone through the past three years. I've saved the last four with receipts. I'm mailing them to whence they came.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

earthway. can't wait to see the new hand spreader! i used to really like the scotts hand spreader till they changed the internals. i've been through 3 of them this spring and the old ones used to last at least a yr
  3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, any headway on this in R&D? I'm still waiting!

Would SOMEONE please make me a decent hand spreader!
  4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I was just thinking above reviving my thread the other day. I did talk to Jeff a few months back. Hopefully he will chime in. I just had to buy another POS Scotts unit the other day because I have a lot of Top Choice applications to do. I still have one old Scotts unit left that works.

I never would have though when I started this thread almost two years ago we would still be SOL. Spyker did come out with a spreader but it's a joke. The Spyker unit may be good for spreading birdseed at the park but that's about it. Who ever did the R&D at Spyker should be fired for being an idiot.
  5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

but seriously - i pretty sure spyker just rebranded someone elses and sells it,
    did you see they are now rebranding and selling the lesco HPS spreader
  6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much 100% of what says LESCO on it is made by someone else. Even the fertilizer is not made in house. Someone else had earlier posted the JD hand spreader picture which was nothing more then a green Spyker. The LESCO may be the JD with different paint.
  7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I am thinking of getting a Earthway chest spreader for fire ant baits and such. I have to admit though, I really like the Spyker hand unit for those 3' wide strips in parking lots and other narrow things.
  8. GW Andy

GW Andy LawnSite Member

We went back to using the spykers this past season. Have to say while i don't like their spread pattern they did hold up all year so I would have to say they are the best out there right now.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And any new hand spreader should have markings on it to indicate cubic inches for different levels. And...it should also have weights for an average fertilizer. So if you fill it up with two pounds of average fert and cover 1000 sqft, you know you applied 2 pounds per thousand. Width adjustment slide would also be a nice feature--and would make the product more competitive, as compared to Scotts and Spyker.
  10. byHISgrace

byHISgrace LawnSite Member

Have you seen the Earthway 3500 hand spreader? Is this our "dream" come true? Matt