Who'd Like a Decent Hand Spreader- Listen Up Earthway

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Apr 12, 2011.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaving aka John deere
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've still got the 2 Spykers I bought around Christmas. They seem pretty solid and smooth. Of course, We don't "throw" them in the back of the truck. The only use they've seen so far is applications of Freehand to ornamental beds. The real test will come in a couple of weeks when we start spreading dry fert.

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

If it's the same one they been selling for years it's not going to last. My friend used to manage the local LESCO shop and he even told me not to buy it. It's pretty much a Vigoro type spreader rebranded as John Deere. They take a ten dollar spreader throw John Deere on it and it sells for $20.

4. RABBITMAN11

Brand new design. It looks and feels like a good hand spreader.
    I know what your saying, but when i picked it up and used it that is what sold me on it. Ill use it a while and give you my honest feed back. I did toss the junk scotts handheld.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post a picture? There's nothing online I could find. If you have a model number it may help me find some place that has an online picture.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

7. ted putnam

8. RABBITMAN11

That's it the one i bought.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ted putnam

Well then, it sounds like our choices are The spyker, scotts or earthways. I have seen a pennington before but it was worse than the rest.

I guess we'll see how these work. I've never seen one like you've got at my Lesco/JDL branch but the only difference in yours and the 2 I have is the color...and maybe the price since if you never used yours, you'd probably have a "collector item". :laugh:

Problem is, they make these things for MawMaw to spread "triple 13" on her flower garden...they don't make them for us.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

My kind of spreader is made to broadcast rice paddies on foot standing on the banks.