1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whole sale mulch prices

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by redoak77, Sep 5, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking into getting a contractors account w? a local nursery next year and was wondering what kind of discount you guys get on mulch. Both regular Hardwood and Dyed Mulch. Also, does anyone deal directly w? a mulch "vendor" and order 50+ yds of mulch, and if so what kinda prices do u get on that.
    P.S. Anyone know a place to buy 50+yds of mulch in central OH?
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done it both ways. We currently have a deal with a local nursery to buy our mulch at special price. I used to purchase mulch buy the tractor trailer. I figured out that having the crew load the mulch themselves was costing me, on average, about $3.81 per yard (over and above the cost of the mulch) to load the mulch from our own pile. I made a deal with a local nursery to stock our mulch and load it in our trucks for $2.19 (over and above the cost of the mulch. Yes, he knows he isn't making much money per yard but we buy about 700 yards as well as other materials we purchase at his nursery.
    It has been a great relationship. I save money and he gains business.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I buy mulch in bulk , by the truck load and pay $10 yd for double ground hardwood. Thats if its 50 yds or more at 1 time.

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

In central Ohio try: Ohio Mulch,Jones topsoil and mulch, and try Ohio Mulch. Just look in the yellow pages of the phone book.

5. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

:cool2: I have enough land here that i am able to buy it by the tractor trailer load. He sales it to me for 3.85 a yard in March and will refill me up in July and again in Sept. He also brings me up top soil by the tractor trailer load for get this 1.74 a yard. This guy i met at the GIE last year and i have kept him busy and he has kept me happy. that probally doesnt help very much but look into getting it by the tractor load
  6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

where do you get your bulk mulch from? send me an e-mail to info@southsidegrounds.com Thanks!