whole sale pine straw

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 20, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Well after years of buying straw at a local landscape store I am looking into buying direct. Last week it was costing me $5.25 + tax per bale. I can't make money like that.

Any good sites to wholesalers you can pass on? I would need delivery to North Carolina.

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

With the current cost of gas, I'm betting your price is pretty normal.

I pay $4.75/bale, here (near Winston Salem).

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

^ that's what I thought. Gas prices will make everything more expensive. didn't know what prices would be direct for a large order.

4. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a fair price if your buying rewholesale. I pay $5 a bale and I drive a pick mine up 45miles away @ the balers house

5. CUSTYOTA

CUSTYOTA LawnSite Member

I pay $4.50 a bale in New Bern. There are some distribuators in Raleigh that can probally bring you a semi trailer load.

Also I'm A grassmasters as well. :waving: I'm Carolina Grassmasters Inc. :usflag:

6. CUSTYOTA

CUSTYOTA LawnSite Member

How do you charge for pine straw? By the bale or by the hour? I was getting $8 - 9 (depending on amount of bales) a bale installed. :usflag:

7. Maco Services

Maco Services LawnSite Member

Wow. I checked three places today all sub $4/bale. One place had varied quality, some very redred pinestraw that was 4.50.

That's crazy pricing. Hope you guys find a more local distributor.

8. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Check our Southern Pines, Pinshurst area. The key is to buy in bulk, meaning hundreds of bales. Last year price 3.25

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mine installed for 5.50 per bale. I buy them for 3.75 in Charlotte. It might be cheaper to get someone to bring them up from SC directly if you buy in bulk

10. Green Acres Lawn CAre

Green Acres Lawn CAre LawnSite Member

How are you guys paying five dollars a bale that's crazy! I only pay 2.11 a bale for long leaf straight from the guy that bales it