wholesale pine straw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 29, 2008.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I just saw that my local lawn store where I buy pine straw has raised its price to $5.25 a bale. This is for long needle. I usually try to get $2 a bale over purchase price and taxes. You guys think 5.25 is high?

Anyone know a good company that delivers semi truck loads? How many bales per load? Cost per bale? Just curious if it would be worth it if a couple of us got one.

2. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

In North Ga. we are paying $2.95 a bale. A semi load is 1106 bales. Most of what you find is slash but it looks really good.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found it too be cheaper just to go to lowes, its $3.99 there. Every year here the bales are getting smaller and dirtier, yet prices keep going up. FWIW, I charge $7.50 per bale, that include pick up and delivery.

4. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

bump te bump te bump

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You can probably get a semi load from GA at $2.50 a bale for slash and cheaper for loblolly.

6. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

When I say you get 1106 bales on a truck these are large bales. Some producers use small bales that come 1400? to a truck.

7. sbarnes

sbarnes LawnSite Member

I am a pinestraw producer, my family has been in the business since 1980 and I have seen the bales get smaller over time. currently our bales are 13 x 12 x 28 and load a 53' trailer with 1386 bales. with todays fuel prices our main buyer asked today to cut our bales down to 26" so we can load 1449 bales because of fuel prices.

8. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you are paying way too much for straw. buy wholsesale from the farm or a dealer that buys from the farm.

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Louisville, we get a semi delivered (we have to unload it) for around 3.80 a bale. If we find out it's dirty, wet or full of debris, we get a price cut.

10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I get nice, clean bales for $5.50 from a straw co. I get pretty much the best price around... Why am I paying so much more than the rest of you'll?? :hammerhead::hammerhead: