1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wholesale Pinestraw??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by matt25738, Aug 15, 2012.

1. matt25738

matt25738 LawnSite Member

Oh damn I saw that too. Didn't they have a huge Vol's sticker on the back window?? haha jk

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Me too... I'll keep him busy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Good possibility!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

I did about 2500-3000 bales this summer...couldn't get anyone to deliver a trailer to the site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I need to do something with my pinestraw program. I generally sell 700 to 900 bails per year. I buy them from oour local nursery and have no room to mark them up execpet fro picking them up. The main problem is that there eighter out of straw when I need it, or its not "RED" I cant sell eighter one.

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I don't do a ton of pinestraw. Maybey 650-700 bales a year. It's a tough sale when I pay $5 per bale and need to add labor. If I had the space I would love to be able to store a couple hundred bales at a time.

Not sure what wholesale pinestraw prices but saving money by buying wholesale could increase sales....or at least profits!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

I have enough room in my shop if I moved some stuff around to store an 18 wheeler load but I don't want all the bugs and the risk of fire. I have one job alone that takes an 18 wheeler load.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. larryinalabama

I dont make a penny on straw,at least if Im going to sell it Id like to make a little and be incharge of it. Id invest in a carport if I could make a dollar a bale.

My supplier complains he only makes .80$ per bail, I tell him I dont mark it up. Even at a 1000 trailer load the feller makes 800$ on something he has almost no effort in.

9. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, What do you mean you don't make a penny on straw? You must make it back up in labor. I double the cost of the straw to cover my labor. So either you make it on the straw or you make it labor.

10. larryinalabama

Sure I charge labor to install the stuff as well as a small delivery fee.

I figure if I could also make a dollar a bail for selling it would be nice. Ive actually lost a couple of jobs because my supplier was out of straw.