Wholesale Pinestraw??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by matt25738, Aug 15, 2012.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I'v had the same problem with straw or if they have it, it looks really bad/old. I have customers waiting or me to find some red straw.

2. matt25738

matt25738 LawnSite Member

Agreed, that's the main reason behind wanting to find a good supplier. The profits aren't great for straw, unless your doing bulk, but the majority of clients I do straw for are maintenance clients. If I can keep their yards looking good by providing quality straw, then I'm more likely to keep long term clients and also pick up new clients around them.

I just wish I could find trailer loads that are filled with the same straw you get in the first few rows at most distributors.

3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Thankfully i've delivered nearly 2400 bales in just under 60 days. I'm thinking 1/3 of that was installs maybe a little closer to 1/2. The first 1000 was absolute garbage that I look back on an realize most of my first clients must have been real nice or they decided afterward that they wouldn't have me back next year. This recent 1400 has gone much better but now i'm starting to sort a bunch of sticks out. Final conclusion: locate all the pine trees locally & start raking like crazy before it rains. Dry-store the bulk & load the Isuzu dumptruck daily for installs. I'll keep sourcing bales for the drop offs but this ultrafresh & straight straw will be a huge calling card & increase profits(I hope). Instead of by the bail I'll determine how many fill a 32 gallon trash can & just keep count as we do with bales. Fill from truck then dump in flowerbeds.
    Posted via Mobile Device