Wholesale PVC

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JCinTx, Dec 10, 2005.

1. JCinTx

JCinTx LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Does anyone know of any wholesale distributors for PVC, pipe and fittings, here in central Texas, or outside of central Texas that ship? Right now I’m paying .25 cents a foot for ¾” and .28 for 1”, both class 200, and this is about .10 a foot more on each than I was paying a year ago. I realize that with the price of oil higher than last year, PVC would also increase, but there has to be better pricing or is this a good as it’s going to be for awhile? Thanks for any feedback!
    JC

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I hope someone can help you beat .28/ft, but a hear ago, I was paying around .12/ft for 1" and I don't think I could buy it for .18/ft now........the market is killing all of us.

3. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

why go you guys use class 200... I get grade 40 out here for .26...It has went up from .16 to .26 since march.. I live in Northern cal...I here the pvc comes from La.area which is closer to you guys..

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

class 200 is rated at the same burst pressure as SCH 40, its cheaper, and it flows more.

All that aside, I use SCH 40. I use it because it is much more fracture resistant when plowing in our rocky soil, and because you can dig it up without smashing it to bits.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

JC - Who are you buying your pipe from? How close are you to Austin? The closest extruder to you is in Wharton - United Pipe, but they don't sell to any but wholesalers.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you could find one that would sell to you you'd most likely be looking at shipping costs. PVC pipe just can't be sent FedEx. :D

7. JCinTx

JCinTx LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Jerry, I’ve been buying from Z Water Works since ’92, College Station and Austin. I suspect I’m not receiving the best pricing b/c I’m not a high volume customer. My core focus is landscape design and installation on high end residential and I got my irrigators license back in ’92 so that I could repair/add/subtract to/from a system as I installed the landscape. I currently only do maybe 10 complete irrigation systems a year, and only with clients that are utilizing my landscape services as well. I probably need to get with my outside Z rep and see what he can do for me on pricing. I never really thought too much of the pricing until I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed that I could buy a 10’ stick less per foot than I’m buying my 20’ sections,...believe I'm getting "hosed"! What seems to be an average cost per foot for the 20’ sections?….looking for some hard numbers I can take to my local outside Z rep. Thanks for all the assistance and hope every one has a great holiday season!!
    JC

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't buy a truckload at a time, you won't get a price. You might figure what you'd want, both pipe and fittings, in a truckload lot of PVC, and shop that list around.

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell tell Jim up there in CS that you are going to start going to Ewing or John Deere if he doesn't get right!! (I've known Jim for over 20 yrs)

Jerry

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Keeping the supply guys honest is something we should all do, but don't be suprised if Home Cheapo beats your wholesale cost on things from time to time. Sometimes its because we probably should get a better point from our suppliers, but sometimes its because they are just more aware and turning their inventory over faster. HD can't (or doesn't) make price changes that easily. When pipe starts jumping up like it has lately, sometimes its cheaper at ACE than it is at the supply house, but since your not going to get 20' or BE that way, is it worth saving the money? 3 or 4 cents/ft seems like a lot when your installing 1000', but how many couplers is that? and try pulling couplers instead of BE. HD can be a great place if you don't need help and can find what you need and get out. Those bags of 10 "contractor bags" of fittings are usually right in line with "wholesale" for me and HD can be 20 miles closer. Gas and time are worth a lot too!