1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wholesale Supplier for Pine Needles

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by b&b1, Feb 13, 2007.

1. b&b1

b&b1 LawnSite Member

Looking for a wholesale supplier for Pine Needles in South Carolina,North Carolina or Georgia.Can anyone help with some information and contact numbers.Thanks
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want pine needles?
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

lol! With all the dang pine trees people plant around here I'd let you come here and rake up needles from under trees as much as you want! $1.00 a bushel! And also, for the crafts people, I know where theres an abundance of those neat craft pine cones everyone needs to decorate their homes. Sell those for $1.00 a dozen, you pick up.

I guess this is how it works, one mans trash (pine needles are nusance trash to us) is another man's treasure!
  4. Ric3077

Exactly who actually wants them?! I am confused by his post.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I know that in some parts of the country "pine straw" they call it is used widely as landscape mulch.
  6. Ric3077

Yea I have heard of pine straw (although I don't understand it why don't they just use mulch) we don't use in in MO or in MA or FL when I was there...weird...anyway good luck finding a pine needle dealer...now if I can just find a SWEET GUM BALL dealer!
  7. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Business 101

You buy what you sell. You don't sell what you buy.

Not sure why customers ask for it but they do all the time. I have a sample of it back at the office. a supplier shipped to me in a small bail like bundle. I am going to give it a shot in the Garden Center this year.
  8. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Off topic. Love your "Screaming For Vengeance" by JP
  9. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

You a Priest fan? I was going to post a pic of me with Ian Hill but can't seem to find it.
  10. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let these guys get to you. They just don't understand that we maintain about 60-80% margin on needle jobs here in the Carolinas. I've found that many of my mulch customers are moving to longleaf needles (we don't mess with short leaf). Now is the perfect time to spruce up those dead beds!!
    Here's a company out of Jefferson, SC that we buy a ton of needles from. Good luck. Here is their info:
    Jerry Melton Pine Needles
    1047 Macedonia Angelus Road
    Jefferson, SC 29718
    843-337-5012 Cell

Sell what the customer wants!!!