1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who's a Member of ALMA?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GPDesign1, Nov 30, 2009.

1. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

We were contacted by this group called ALMA (American Landscape Maintenance Association) about becoming an equipment supplier affiliate. I'd never heard of 'em...

The founder, Tommy Ganz, claims to be one of the original partners of U.S. Lawns. Looks kinda like a quasi-franchise deal...

Anybody here a member? What's your take- good, bad or indifferent?
  2. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

I'm a member. Tommy loves what he does and is very comitted to his subscribers. He always let's us know about what's going on at ALMA and he recently partnered with another guy. They are putting together a new site and there should be more resources coming soon. There is already a lot of helpful resources on the site and Tommy is very knowledgable about this industry. I would never hesitate to ask him a question or ask him for help. Also I know he would be very helpful and personal in response.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me something...

In 2007, 58% of all new "non-franchise" businesses failed. In that same year, only 8% of new franchise businesses failed in their first year. An even more staggering statistic is looking over the past five years...only 17% of all new "franchised" businesses failed, but a whopping 69% of all new non franchised businesses closed their doors during that period.

What do you see in that statement?

No, this isn't a psychology quiz :laugh:
  4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Not that his info isnt good for newbies, it's just clearly a for profit situation...
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Most new business fails because lack of capital investment IMO. Most franchises require capital large capital investment . I think fail /success is more dependent on Capital not whether it is a franchise or not.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've talked to him a few times and seems really knowledgeable. I will be joining soon.
  7. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

*bump for the morning crew.
  8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Tommy is a member on here and does have quite alot of knowledge to pass around. I'm not a member of ALMA or anything, but just from reading some of Tommy's posts on here over the last few months, I get the impression that he is very knowledgable about this industry. If you decide to join, I don't think it will hurt you but I'm not sure how much good it will do for you guys either.
  9. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a new member, if they get this organization rolling again, at one time they were 3000 strong, it could be a good move to be an affiliate, if they do not increase the membership it may not be of any help to you.
    Both Tommy Ganz and Rick Beaver I believe are sincere and very knowledgeable and have been there and done that, so they do have insight into this business.
    I like their video approach to topics on the website, it is different from other organizations I have belonged to. For me membership is more to remind me of things that I used to use in my business, or have gotten lazy about doing.
    One example is the video on not walking over those $20.00 bills. Every account has other unsold work just waiting to be done, all you have to do is ask. I had gotten lazy about doing this and after watching the video I went out the next week and sold over $750.00 worth of new work to existing clients. Yes, this same info is available in posts on lawnsite, ALMA just puts it into a more condensed form.
  10. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I visited their website, www.ALMAnow.com, and it looks like they provide a lot of good information to landscapers. I am going to grab lunch with their Vice-President next week to find out more about them and see if I can help provide useful insurance information to their already large source of general landscaping business related information. The VP's name is Rick Beaver. They seem like great guys and they have plenty of experience and knowledge of the industry.

I would be interested to hear more about them from those of you that are members.

If you aren't a member, check out their website.